(Note – SBH – On the Scottish OS maps, there are 2 brickworks detailed – Garscube Brick and Tile Works and Garscube Brickworks. Both are depicted on the bottom of the 1896 map. The Garscube Brickworks which is the further east of the two is close to Dawsholm. I believe this was also known as…
These works were started c. 1852 – 1856. The valuation roll of 1856 details the brickworks as apparently unfinished but occupied. They were leased to Cowan, Walker and Company. – Alexander Cowan and Robert Walker. The brickworks were in business, certainly in 1867, according to the valuation rolls of that year. Robert Walker was managing director. Robert Walker and Son were running the business in 1873 but it had been demolished prior to 1899 – probably c.1882. They produced firebricks and composition bricks and sold fireclay. See entries in Slaters Advertiser 1852,1867 and 1882 Source – Falkirk Museum and Archives.
Below – 21/10/1847 – Stirling Observer – Falkirk Fire Brickworks – Alexander Stark, Alexander Cowan and Robert Walker.
Below – 03/11/1859 – Falkirk Herald – Alexander Cowan and Robert Walker partnership dissolved. The firm of Cowan and Walker is now dissolved and Robert Walker & Sons run the brickworks.
Below – 1860 – Falkirk Fire Brickworks (As identified by Falkirk Museum and Archives).
08/06/1871 – Falkirk Herald – Reference to Henry Walker, Falkirk Fire Brickworks winning a prize for livestock at the Eastern District of Stirlingshire Agricultural Association Show.
23/03/1875 – The Scotsman – Slander case between two united Presbyterian church elders – Pursuer in this action is Henry Walker, brickmaker and quarrier residing at the Falkirk Fire Brickworks, Falkirk and he sues John Wilson proprietor of the lands of South Bantaskine near Falkirk for the sum of £300 as damages for slander … following the alleged theft of 1/2 a bag of cut grass Mr Walker was allegedly called a low black-guard (an infamous or dirty fellow) and a low scoundrel … (oooeeerrr)!
1878 – Robert Walker and Son, fire brick makers and quarry owners, Falkirk Fire Brick Works.
31/05/1879 – Falkirk Herald – Reference to Robert Walker & Son, Fire Brickworks, Falkirk winning the first prize in baking oatcakes with meal and water only at the annual show!!
09/06/1881 – Falkirk Herald – Eastern District of Stirlingshire Agricultural Show – poultry section John Walker, Falkirk Fire Brickwork is referred to twice as being commended.
1882 – Robert Walker, fire brick maker (Robert Walker and Son) and quarry owners Falkirk.
1882 – Henry Walker, fire brick maker (Robert Walker and Son) Viewfield Cottage, Falkirk.
1882 – Robert Walker and Son, fire brick and tile manufacturer, South Bantaskine, Falkirk.
17/04/1882 – Daily Revie Edinburgh – Reference to Henry Walker, brick manufacturer, Falkirk.
1886 – Robert Walker and Son, fire brick and tile manufacturer, South Bantaskine, Falkirk.
1895 – R Walker, fire clay manufacturer, Canal Bank, Falkirk.