(Note – SBH – On the Scottish OS maps, there are 2 brickworks detailed – Garscube Brick and Tile Works and Garscube Brickworks. Both are depicted on the bottom of the 1896 map. The Garscube Brickworks which is the further east of the two is close to Dawsholm. I believe this was also known as…
29/01/1894 – Glasgow Herald – Foreman (Savvy) wanted for clay hole or will be quite willing to contract per 1000. Apply Eastfield Brickworks, Fauldhouse.
Below – 1895 – Eastfield Brickworks.
Below – 03/02/1898 – Glasgow Herald – Prospectus for Turners Limited, quarry masters, brick manufacturers and coal masters, Edinburgh … The company was formed in 1894 as a private joint stock company for the purpose of acquiring, carrying on, developing and extending the business of quarry masters, brick manufacturers and coal masters, Edinburgh and elsewhere, previously the property of Messrs William Turner and Sons … The company consists of … Eastfield Freestone Quarry, Fallahills Freestone Quarry, East and West Braehead Quarries, Plean Mill Quarry, Abercorn Brickworks, Portobello, Eastfield Brickworks, Braehead Brickworks, Kepplehill and Tarbrax Collieries, Stane Colliery, Lands of Stane … The brickworks are capable of producing upwards of 18,000,000 bricks annually, besides tiles, flower pots, fireclay goods etc …
12/08/1899 – West Lothian – Linlithgow JP Court. Wm Clark and John Owens were charged with having on 7th August lodged in a kiln at Eastfield Brickworks, Whitburn occupied by Turners Limited without having received the permission of the owners or the manager. They pleaded guilty and were each fined £1 or 14 days.
19/05/1905 – West Lothian Courier – John Connolly and Hugh Gallocher, labourers were brought up in custody and charged with having, (1) on 6th May from the haulage engine-house at Eastfield Quarry occupied by Turners Limited, stolen three screw nut-keys and a hammer: and. (2), at the machine-shed at Eastfield Brickworks, stolen two screw-nuts and a bush cover, and attempted to steal five brass bushes. They pleaded guilty and were each sentenced to 14 days imprisonment to date from the 8th of May, the date of their apprehension.
12/10/1906 – West Lothian Courier – Brickworks stopped. Last Saturday brickmaking operations ceased in the Fauldhouse district, when the brickwork, at East Benhar, owned by Turners, Limited, was shut down and the hands paid off. Brickmaking in the district first began at the Eastleld Brickwork, and then operations were extended and a new work opened at East Benhar. Some years ago it was found necessary to stop the Eastfield Brickwork and now the one at Benhar has followed suit, and this industry is finished at Fauldhouse in the meantime at any rate.
08/08/1908 – Midlothian Advertiser – A sale by auction took place at Braehead, Fallahill and Eastfield Quarries and Brickworks, the property of Turner’s Limited. The stock consisted of brickmaking machinery, quarrying plant, steam boilers, engines, engineers tools, railway sidings, bricks and other effects, which were speedily bought up. The auctioneers were Edward Rushton, Son & Kenyon, Manchester. The sale having been advertised in some of the English papers a goodly number were present from several of the English towns eager to secure bargains. All has to cleared off the ground by 1st September.