This product is in the possession of Ian Suddaby. Ian states – “Gustav Bischof was Professor of Technical Chemistry at the Andersonian University in Glasgow and in 1863 he invented and patented the process of filtering water through spongy iron and sand to purify it. It won a number of international medals from 1872 on….
Strathallan Brick and Tile Work, Auchterarder aka Wallfauld Brick and Tile Works.
05/10/1853 – North British Agriculturist – Tilework at Strathallan to let. The tilework at Strathallan, 3 miles from Auchterardin and 1 from the Bridge of Kinkill, with the use of clay fields, sheds, buildings, will be let for such a number of years as may be agreed on. The conditions of the lease will be seen on application to Laurence Brown at Castle Strathallan by Auchterardin and offers will be received by the Viscount Strathallan until 15th Oct next. Castle Strathallan 23rd Sept 1853.
23/07/1857 – Serious accident – a young lad of the name of Reid, son to Captain Hunter’s coachman, was employed at the Strathallan Brick and Tile Works, on Saturday last, got all the fingers of both hands taken off by an engine. He was instantly sent to the Perth Infirmary. It was thought that both hands would require to be amputated, which will put the individual in a most helpless condition for the remainder of his life.
1859 – 1862 – ScotlandsPlaces – Strathallan Brick, Tile and Pottery Work. These works are situated about half a mile south from the U. P. [United Presbyterian] Church. The works are divided into two separate divisions – one for the manufacture of pots and vases, &c.; the other for bricks and earthenware pipes for drainage. Property of Viscount Strathallan, Rented by Mr Brown.
Below – 1863 – Strathallan Brick, Tile and Pottery Works.
18/07/1867 – Perthshire advertiser – Arable farms and tileworks on the Estate of Strathallan to be let for 15 years … The Strathallan Tileworks, houses and grounds and along therewith the adjoining farm of Calfward and Pendicle … The tileworks are within a convenient distance of the Auchterarder and Tullibardine Stations. The whole are close to good public roads leading to the Stations and neighbouring market towns of Auchterarder and Crieff. Where steadings are deficient they will be repaired and made otherwise suitable. The clay of the tile works is well known for its superior quality and adaptability to every article in the line from best building bricks, roofing tiles and drainage and sewage pipes up to the finest designs for house, garden and other ornamental purposes. Mr Hume or Mr Thomson at Strathallan Castle will show sketch plans and general conditions and give orders for pointing out the respective possessions … Note present tenants are not offerers.
1878 – William Johnstone, brick and tile maker, Trinity Gask, Auchterarder.
1886 – William Johnston, brick and tile maker, Trinity, Auchterarder.
Below- 1899 – Strathallan Brick and Tile Works are marked as disused. ( Note – SBH – The 1912 entry suggests the works may have been resurrected or did they move to a site nearby?).
1912 – 1913 – William Johnston, brick and tile maker, Kinkell, Auchterarder.
12/11/1946 – Dundee Courier – Provost and Laird made test bricks – One summer day nearly 50 years ago Mr David Johnstone closed down his brickworks at Wallfauld, Auchterarder. Agriculture was going through a bad period, there wasn’t the same demand for the smooth red draining tile and pipes that were the main product of his family business. It was before the days of the big-scale road transport, and near Kinkell Bridge one was far from the railway and its possibilities. The years passed. Grass and weeds overgrew the old brickworks. Another of Perthshire’s rural industries was dead.