Photographed by Martin Sneddon in the Ayrshire area. I am not in possession of this example. There may also be another word stamped above Warrix but it is unclear. Warrix Fire Clay Works, Irvine, North Ayrshire. . . .
Captain Archibald Kenneth of Shewalton and his two sons Robert and James, were substantial coalmasters in Ayrshire, with several brickworks using the fireclay and blaes mined with the coal. One of their earliest was the Eglinton Fireclay Works, on the east bank of the Garnock river between Buckredding House and Weirston Lodge, and beside the Eglinton Colliery. This brickwork should not be confused with the Eglinton Iron Fireclay Works, which lay a mile to the south-west on the Ironworks site. Kenneth’s Eglinton brickworks is mentioned in Slaters Directory of 1889 and 1900, but it was demolished by 1911. Source Kenneth W Sanderson.
22/01/1851 – Dumfries and Galloway Standard – Notice – The Eglinton Fire Clay Works Company beg to intimate that they have appointed Mr P.K. Lamb, General Mineral Agent, to dispose of their manufacture in Dumfries and neighbourhood, consisting of fire clay, fire clay pressed bricks, chimney cans, chimney linings, water pipes, ornamental vases and ornamental flower pots, paving tiles, gas retorts, cow troughs, coping for walls etc etc. Specimens of the work may be seen and prices learned by applying at the Office of Mr Lamb, McPhersons New Land, Bank Street, Dumfries or the Ayrshire Coal Yard, South side the Railway Bridge, Goods Station, Dumfries. 16/01/1851.
08/05/1852 – Glasgow Herald – The subscriber, residing Wallacetown, Ayr, has ceased to be a partner of the firm carrying on business under the name of Archibald Kenneth and Company as coal masters at the Eglinton and Dreghorn Collieries and as manufacturers of articles from fire clay and other clay at the Eglinton Fire Clay Works all in Ayrshire. – George Taylor.
Witnesses J.F Murdoch and J. Murdoch.
1858 – 59 – John Forbes, Agent for Eglinton Fire Clay Works. Ho 66 Shamrock Street, Glasgow
1867 – Archibald Kenneth & Co, Eglinton Fire Clay Works.
09/09/1869 – Glasgow Herald – Ayr Council meeting …….the following offers were accepted in respect of the proposed drainage work in districts 1 and 4…..and for supplying the fire clay for these works the offer of Messrs Archibald Kenneth & Sons, Eglinton Fire Clay Works, Kilwinning, amounting to £98 2s 11d.
17/01/1874 – Adrossan and Saltcoats Herald – Fatal pit accident at Messrs A. Kenneth & Sons, Fire Clay Works. James Lawson ( 59) fireman, lost his life in an accident involving the cage.
15/08/1874 – Adrossan and Saltcoats Herald – Railway excursion to Edinburgh …..upward of 300 having been booked at Kilwinning Station alone ……In connection with it we have to record an act of generous liberality on the part of the firm of Archibald Kenneth & Sons, of the Eglinton Fire Clay Works,here, some of the workmen having expressed a wish to go if they could get leave for the day, their employers not only granted this but turned the affair into a general holiday, granting a free ticket to each of the men with provision for refreshment while in ‘Auld Reekie’
Eglinton Fireclay works – The OS map for the mid 18th century shows a clay mill, fireclay works and kilns at Buckreddan on the Bannoch Road. Fire clay is used in the manufacture of fire bricks. The clay is resistant to high temperatures and is suitable for lining furnaces, as fire brick, and manufacture of utensils used in the metalworking industries. Fireclay was also worked at Perceton – info by a member of the Kilwinning Heritage
Below – 1856 – Eglinton Fireclay Works.
Below – 1897 – Eglinton Fireclay Works