Found by Matt Wilson near Kirkintilloch. I am not in possession of this example. Scottish Brick Corporation. Following the nationalisation of the coal industry in 1947, the National Coal Board (NCB) inherited a number of brickworks. Around 1969, saw the NCB selling off its brickworks with the Scottish Brick Corporation (SBC) taking over most of…
Pitcon Brickworks, Dalry, Ayrshire.
Canmore – This was one of three common-brick works in the vicinity of Dalry which were built to make pressed-clay bricks from the coal-measure clays – blaes – deposited as waste during coal and ironstone mining in the 19th century. As these works were built in 1939 it seems likely that it was intended to satisfy wartime demand for bricks for defence works. The works closed in 1990 and were speedily demolished
1939 – Works built but did not open until after WW2.
1939 – 1978 – The 1985 publication ‘A survey of Scottish brickmarks’ suggests that A. Kenneth & Sons operated the works during this period.
Below – 1944 – 1967 – Pitcon Brickworks.
19/01/1951 – Kilmarnock Herald – Kilmarnock Sheriff Court – Robert Biggar, c/o 37 High Street, Irvine pled guilty to breaking into the office occupied by Robert Kenneth and Sons Ltd at Pitcon Brickworks, Dalry and stealing £6 6s …
1978 – 1984 – The 1985 publication ‘A survey of Scottish brickmarks’ suggests that the Scottish Brick Corporation operated the works during this period.
1984 – The 1985 publication ‘A survey of Scottish brickmarks’ suggests that the Glasgow Iron and Steel Company operated the works from 1984 until closure.
2018 – Site of the old Pitcon Brickworks.
Ian Suddaby states – Carrick Academy in Maybole, Ayrshire is soon to replaced with a modern community hub, school and leisure centre. The existing school was built from red brick and red sandstone in 1925 and extra accommodation was added in the 1970s. Digging work in the grounds suggests that the 1925 building was made…
This example is in the possession of the National Museum, Scotland. Note the small lug above the ‘C’. The rear has an unusual square-ended frog with a middle bar. Scottish Brick Corporation. Following nationalisation of the coal industry in 1947, the National Coal Board (NCB) inherited a number of brickworks. Around 1969, saw the NCB…
1952 – Glasgow Iron and Steels’s first venture in brickmaking was in 1952 when it commissioned and built the present Birkfield Brickworks in Carluke and this was consolidated in 1954 with the purchase of the Motherwell Brick Company Limited. Nevertheless, brickmaking remained an ancillary part of the company operations until 1976. 11/01/1952 – Carluke and…
Found by Bob Banks in the Bo’ness area. Barbauchlaw Brick Works, Armadale, West Lothian. . . . .
Found by Ian Suddaby in Aberdeenshire. Centurion Brickworks, Bishopbriggs, East Dunbartonshire owned by the Scottish Brick Company. . . . . . .
Cadder Brickworks, Kirkintilloch Road, Cadder, East Dumbartonshire aka Cadder Moss Brickworks. These Brickworks were initially operated as the Cadder Brickworks and run by a Company which changed its title to the Cadder Brick Company and then they were sold to Keir and Cawder who continued to run it as their Cadder Brickworks. 27/02/1929 – Kirkintilloch…
Found on the old site previously occupied by Giscol when they took over the Etna Brickworks, Bathville, West Lothian. The bricks are cored and are stamped on a stretcher. They are dated 29/03/91 and 07/11/91. It looks like they were used to build some sort of office block on the site. Now demolished and mostly…
24/04/1975 – The Scotsman – Scotland’s brickmakers build Scotland’s future. Scottish members of the Scottish Brick Development Association. Cherryton Brick Company. Dewar and Finlay Ltd. Glasgow Iron and Steel. Kirkforthar Brick Co Ltd. Motherwell Brick Co. Scottish Brick Co Ltd.
Found by Ian Suddaby at Carberry, East Lothian. This example is not in my possession. LB – Likely to stand for Lochgelly Brickworks as SBC took them over in 1969. The ‘B’ looks like an 8 in the photo but it is definitely a ‘B’. SBC – Scottish Brick Corporation or Company. . .