1848 – 1851 – ScotlandsPlaces – Kirkchrist Brick and Tile Works. A brick and tile manufactory having a kiln for burning, a large wooden shed for drying and a small piece of ground attached. The whole surrounded chiefly by a wooden paling. The works take their name from the farm of Kirkchrist on which they…
Airdrie House Brickworks, Airdrie, Lanarkshire AKA Mosside Brickworks or was this a separate site?
Airdrie House (now Monklands General Hospital) Most of The Moss and the area around Whinhall belonged to the Airdrie House Estate until the beginning of this century. The estate was owned and occupied by the Hamilton family for nearly 300 years and it was Robert Hamilton who is credited with being the founder of Airdrie in 1695. The Hamilton reign came to an end in 1749. In 1769 the Aitchison’s bought the estate that the Alexanders later inherited. In 1987 Sir John Wilson bought the estate and it was to be the home of the Wilsons until it became the local maternity hospital in 1919. This closed in 1962 and was demolished in 1964 to make way for Monklands General Hospital that opened in 1977.
Airdriehouse Brickworks – Bricks were needed for the furnaces and for general building. For a short period of time at the end of the 19th century, the Airdriehouse Brickworks carried out quarrying operations just northwest of Airdrie House, near the railway sidings. Little is known about the brickworks but that they quarried on the site of an old ironstone pit for a few years but this was later abandoned. The Penny Spring flowed into the crater and it became the first pond.
20/03/1874 – Glasgow Herald – Bricks – First-class composition, machine-made. Apply J. Hyslop, South Cobbinshaw, Auchengray. (Connected via J Hyslop?)
18/06/1892 – Nichol’s semi-dry brick making machine for sale. Cheap. Apply Hyslop, Airdrie House, Airdrie.
26/11/1894 – Mining Institute – A letter – The first from J.B. Atkinson to Jon Hyslop of Airdrie House Brickworks, Airdrie, confirming that they have begun working coal by means of a slope at the brickworks.
28/02/1895 – Mining Institute – Letter from J.B. Atkinson to Jon Hyslop at Airdrie Home Brickworks on the subject of Mosside coal.
12/06/1897 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – Dean of guild court. At this court on Thursday, before Dean of guild Wilson, Bailie Bannen and Councillor Bruce – Mr Jonathan Hyslop, brick manufacturer, was granted leave to make additions on his cottage in St John Street.
25/02/1899 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – Nine valuable works on coal, iron, and oil industries, etc., have just been presented by Mr Jonathan Hyslop, Airdrie House Brickworks. Visitors to the Museum can now feast their eyes on the Airdrie Charity Cup, placed on exhibition there by the committee.
06/05/1899 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – About 8.30 on Wednesday morning fire was discovered to have broken out in the dwelling-house belonging to Mr Jonathan Hyslop, brick manufacturer, 62 St. John’s Street. The fire originated somewhere about the chimney but was speedily extinguished by the Burgh Fire Brigade. The damage is slight and will be met by something less than £1.
1903 – Jonathan Hyslop, Brick and Tile Maker, Airdrie House Brickworks, Airdrie.
05/08/1905 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – Theft – Youth charged with theft of 2 iron cart rails from Airdrie House Brickworks belonging to Mr Jonathan Hyslop.
23/11/1907 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – Girls wanted at Airdrie House Brickworks to clean and load bricks.
Below – 07/12/1907 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser -Brickworks to let Cairnhill Estate. Mosside Brickworks lately tenanted by Mr Jonathan Hyslop.
21/03/1908 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – For sale at Airdrie House Brickworks, Kipps, good paving and foundation bricks at 10s per 1000. Also 4 waterproof lorry or stack covers.
Below – 12/09/1908 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – Sales by auction – 17th, at Airdrie House Brickworks, Coatbridge. Plant, branch railway and buildings. The property of Jonathan Hyslop.
1912 – 1913 – Jonathan Hislop, brick and tile maker, Airdrie House Brickworks, Airdrie (Note the spelling of Hyslop)( Note – SBH – this is confusing as the 1910 map shows the works as disused – not even marked on the map).
22/02/1923 – The Scotsman – Death – At Greenbank, Coatbridge on 21st ist, Jonathan Hyslop retired brick manufacturer in his 90th year. Funeral private.
Below – 17/07/1943 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – An article retelling how a sinkhole appeared at the old brickworks of Mr Jonathan Hislop some 25 years ago. (Bote – SBH – I have included this reference as it infers the bricks works were ‘old’ ie not in existence, in 1918.)