Airdrie House Brick Works, Airdrie, North Lanarkshire

Is this company connected to the Airdrie Brick Company?

Airdrie House Brickworks, Airdrie, Lanarkshire AKA Mosside Brickworks or was this a separate site?

Airdrie House (now Monklands General Hospital)  Most of The Moss and the area around Whinhall belonged to the Airdrie House Estate until the beginning of this century. The estate was owned and occupied by the Hamilton family for nearly 300 years and it was Robert Hamilton who is credited with being the founder of Airdrie in 1695. The Hamilton reign came to an end in 1749. In 1769 the Aitchison’s bought the estate that the Alexanders later inherited. In 1987 Sir John Wilson bought the estate and it was to be the home of the Wilsons until it became the local maternity hospital in 1919. This closed in 1962 and was demolished in 1964 to make way for Monklands General Hospital that opened in 1977.

Airdriehouse Brickworks – Bricks were needed for the furnaces and for general building. For a short period of time at the end of the 19th century, the Airdriehouse Brickworks carried out quarrying operations just north-west of Airdrie House, near the railway sidings. Little is known about the brickworks but that they quarried on the site of an old ironstone pit for a few years but this was later abandoned.  The Penny Spring flowed into the crater and it became the first pond.

22/01/1864 – Glasgow Herald – For sale, upwards of 200,000 composition bricks lying beside the Monklands Railway. Apply at the Airdrie Brickworks. Airdrie 20/01/1864. (Note – SBH – Is this the same company as Airdrie House Brickworks)

1867 – Airdrie Brickworks were owned by Nicol and Thom. Products included firebricks and composition bricks. (Note – SBH – Is this the same company as Airdrie House Brickworks)

20/03/1874 – Glasgow Herald – Bricks  – first-class composition, machine-made. Apply J.Hyslop, South Cobbinshaw, Auchengray. (Connected via J Hyslop?)

Below – 07/11/1874 – Hamilton Advertiser – Court case regarding the leasing of land with coal and fireclay rights by Robert Brand and Jonathan Hyslop at Greenhead, Coltness.

18/06/1892 – Nichol’s semi-dry brick making machine for sale. Cheap. Apply Hyslop, Airdrie House, Airdrie.

26/11/1894 – Mining Institute – A letter – The first from J.B. Atkinson to Jon Hyslop of Airdrie House Brickworks, Airdrie, confirming that they have begun
working coal by means of a slope at the brickworks.

28/02/1895 – Mining Institute  – Letter from J.B. Atkinson to Jon Hyslop at Airdrie Home Brickworks on the subject of Mosside coal.

Below – 1897 – Airdrie House Brickworks. Disused by  1910

1903 – Jonathan Hyslop, Brick and Tile Maker, Airdrie House Brickworks, Airdrie.

05/08/1905 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – Theft – Youth charged with theft of 2 iron cart rails from Airdrie House Brickworks belonging to Mr Jonathan Hyslop.

Below – 07/12/1907 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser -Brickworks to let Cairnhill Estate. Mosside Brickworks lately tenanted by Mr Jonathan Hyslop.

21/03/1908 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – For sale at Airdrie House Brickworks, Kipps, good paving and foundation bricks at 10s per 1000. Also 4 waterproof lorry or stack covers.

12/09/1908 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – Sales by auction – 17th, at Airdriehouse Brickworks, Coatbridge. Plant, branch railway and buildings.

1912 – 1913 – Jonathan Hislop, Brick and Tile Maker, Airdrie House Brickworks, Airdrie (Note the spelling of Hyslop)( Note  – SBH – this is confusing as the 1910 map shows the works as disused – not even marked on the map).

 

Similar articles