Found by Pam Bond on a beach near Santa Cruz, California, USA. Allan & Mann, Port Eglinton, Glasgow Alternative brickworks include: Rutherglen Pottery, Glasgow. Mallsmire Works, Myrtle Park, Crosshill, Glasgow .
Shields Brick and Tile Works, Tradeston, Glasgow. (Note – SBH – I am confused regarding the relationship between the Shiels Bridge Brickworks and the Shields Brick and Tile Works. Are they 2 different, but closely situated works or are they one of the same?)
The 1985 publication ‘A survey of Scottish brickmarks’ states the works operated from c. 1826 – 1864.
1835 – 1836 – A. & T Bow, Brick and tile makers and builders. Works at Shields West Street, Tradeston.
A. Bow of A & T Bow. House 43 Crown Street.
1836 – 37 – A. & T Bow, Brick and tile makers and builders. Works at Shields West Street, Tradeston.
A. Bow. House 43 Crown Street.
1837 – 1838 – A. & T Bow, Brick and tile makers and builders. Works at Shields West Street, Tradeston.
A. Bow of A & T Bow. House 46 Rose Street, Hutchestown.
1839 – A. & T Bow, Brick and tile makers and builders. Works at Shields West Street, Tradeston.
A.Bow – House – 73 Crown Street, Hutchesontown.
1840 – 1841 – A. & T Bow., brick and tile makers and builders. Works at Shields West Street, Tradeston.
A. Bow of A & T Bow, Bow House, 70 Crown Street, Hutchesontown, Glasgow.
17/08/1842 – Death of Alexander Bow. (See post dated 29/04/1844)
1843 – 1844 – A. & T Bow, brick and tile makers and builders. Works at Shields West Street, Tradeston. Counting House, 5 Govan Street, Glasgow.
Below – 29/04/1844 – Glasgow Herald – In consequence of the death of Alexander Bow, brickmaker and builder in Hutchesontown, which happened on the 17/08/1842 his interest in the company carrying on business as brick and tile makers and builders at Shiells, Tradeston and at Hutchesontown, under the firm of Alexander and Thomas Bow, ceased on 24/09/1842 … Thomas Bow, of the firm of Alexander and Thomas Bow, is reference to the above notice, hereby intimates that he has assumed, as partners with him, his son James Bow and nephew William Bow, in the place of his brother Alexander Bow, now deceased, who were regularly bred to the several branches of the company’s business and that the business is carried on under the old firm, and at the same places as formerly.
Below – 24/09/1847 – Man found dead at brickworks owned by Mr Bow.
1849 – 1850 – A & T Bow, brick makers and builders, also drain pipe and roof tile manufacturers. Work and counting-house at Shields, West Street, Tradeston. Lime yard and letterbox, 45 Govan Street, Hutchesontown
17/10/1850 – North British Agriculturist – Drain Pipes. “A. &. J. Bow, Brick and Tile Makers, Glasgow, brought to the yard, a whole cart-load of drain pipes to be shown in the section. It consists with our own knowledge, that they were taken dried from the kiln, and they were of such uniform quality in every requisite of a good pipe, that had they been entered for competition, they would certainly have carried the price.”—From the North British Agriculturist.
A & J. Bow, have on hand a large supply of draining pipes and common horse-shoe tiles, from 1 1/2 inch to 6 inches diameter. Orders to any extent punctually executed. A trial of their pipes will, they are convinced, fully verify the favourable opinion expressed in the above extract. Brick and Tile Work, Shields Bridge, Glasgow.
Below – 1852 – Advert Shields Brick and Tile Works – A & T Bow.
1852 – A & T Bow, brickmakers and builders, also drain pipe and roof tile manufacturers. Works and counting-house at Shields, West Street, Tradeston.
1852 – 1853 – A & T Bow, brickmakers, 45 Govan Street, Glasgow.
25/04/1853 – Glasgow Herald – To let unfurnished at Pollokshields. The Corner Villa of St Andrew’s and Shield’s Roads containing dining and drawing rooms, four bedrooms, kitchen and scullery and washing house with garden and shrubbery in front. Apply A & T Bow, Shields Brickworks or R. Bald, 174 Trongate. – Glasgow 21/04/1853.
Below – 08/08/1853 – Glasgow Herald – Thomas Bow, brick maker died on 22/03/1853.
23/12/1854 – Glasgow Sentinel – The workers of James Bow, Brickworks donated £2 10s to the Patriotic Fund and towards maintaining the wives and children of soldier, sailors and marines presently serving in the East
1855 – A & T Bow, Shields Brick and Tile Works, West Street, Tradeston.
Below – 13/12/1856 – Glasgow Herald – A & T Bow – Clay holes under fire from Newspaper and Public following an accident there.
Below – 02/01/1857 – Glasgow Herald – Grinding. A & T Bow, Brickmakers and Builders, West Street, Tradeston, respectfully intimate that they have always on hand a stock of fresh ground cement, which, upon trial, will be found equal if not superior to any in the market. They will be most happy to undertake the grinding of manures or oil cake at very moderate rates. They have likewise attached rollers for crushing oats, which are found to be both cheap and beneficial for horses. Ground gypsum, which is found to be an excellent top dressing for wheat, supplied at the rate of 40s. per ton, laid down at any of the Railway Stations, Glasgow. Shields Brick and Tile Works, Glasgow, 15th Dec. 1856.
Below – 25/02/1857 – Glasgow Herald – Derrick crane for sale.
Below – 1858 – Shields Brick and Tile Works (The brickworks are not depicted on the – 1894 – OS Map but the clay pit is still evident although not marked as such – The railway terminus now sits where the brickworks was situated in 1858 – see the 1846 entry also – However where were the ‘new’ Shield Brickworks situated? Later entries below state it was West Street, Tradeston which was basically where the site on the 1858 map was?)(The clay pit is marked on the – 1911 – OS Map)
Below – 1858 – Town plan map – Shields Brick and Tile Works.
1858 – 1861 – ScotlandsPlaces – Brickworks near Falfield Mill, A Bow Esqr. A group of buildings comprising Engine House, Drying Shed, [kiln?] with a large Brickfield [–]
The property of A & T [Bow?] (Note – SBH – This is confusing. This is a different location to the brickworks depicted on the 1858 map above. The Shields Bridge works are on the west of the railway but the location of the works described here by ScotlandPlaces are on the east of the railway. See my page for Port Eglinton Fire Brick Works worked by Allan and Mann as I believe these are the works being described here by ScotlandsPlaces. It is possible of course, that c. 1858 the works changed hands from Allan and Mann to A & T Bow).
13/03/1858 – Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald – Messrs A & T Bow having attached to their present machine rollers and millstones for the purpose of grinding oilcakes, manures &c at extremely moderate rates, any person entrusting them with the aforesaid materials to grind, may depend upon having their work punctually and faithfully executed. N.B Oats bruised at 6d per boll. Shields Brick and Tile Works, West Street, Tradeston, Glasgow,
1859 – A & T Bow, brick and tilemakers, builders, and cement and stucco manufacturers, 230 West Street, Tradeston.
Below – 27/07/1859 – Glasgow Herald – James Bow of A & T Bow – claims to be settled due to death of James Bow.
02/12/1859 – Glasgow Herald – Notice – Alexander C. Hood is no longer in the employment of Messers A & T bow and has no authority to uplift any accounts or transact any business in their name after this date. Shields Brick and Tile Works 20/11/1859.
Below – 09/01/1860 – Glasgow Herald – A & T Bow grinding oil cakes and manures.
Below – 17/02/1860 – Glasgow Herald – To Let Havelock Villa, Pollockshields.
16/04/1861 – Glasgow Herald – To Let – in West Front of New Terrace, Pollokshields, a first-class house on the first floor containing 6 rooms and kitchen with a bathroom and all conveniences. Rent moderate. Apply A & T Bow, Shields Brick and Tile Works.
1861 – A & T Bow, Brickmakers and Builders and drain pipe and roof tile manufacturers, Shields Brick and Tile Works, West Street, Tradeston.
Below – 1861 – Advert A & T Bow Shields Brickworks Glasgow.
1863 – 1864 – A & T Bow, brick and tilemakers, and builders, Shields Works, 230 West Street, Tradeston. Mrs James Bow (of A. & T. Bow), House, Havelock Cottage, Pollokshields.
1865 – 1866 – A & T Bow, brick and tilemakers, builders, &c., Shields works, 230 West Street, Tradeston. Mrs James Bow (of A. & T. Bow), House, 6 Cecil Place, Paisley Road.
24/05/1866 – Glasgow Herald – The Shields Brickworks and grinding mill, 230 West Street are now open. Parties requiring cement, oilcake, or grain etc, ground or crushed can have it done expeditiously and at moderate rates.
18/07/1866 – Glasgow Herald – Bricks for sale at Shields Brick Works. 130 West Street, Tradeston.
1866 – 1867 – Shields Brick and Grinding Works, and Irish Limekilns, 230 West St.; office, 137 West George St.
1867 -Brickmakers and builders, 62 St James Street, Kingston, Glasgow.
1867 – 1868 – Shields Brick and Grinding Works, and Irish Limekilns, 130 West St.; Office, 54 St. Enoch Sq.
1867 – 1868 – Baird, Son, & Co., Shields Brickworks and Grinding Mills, 130 West Street, Tradeston; office, 54 St. Enoch Square.
1868 – 1869 – John Wallace, brickmaker and builder, Shields Brickworks, 130 West Street; House, Bloomvale Lodge, 82 Crownpoint Road.
1868 – 1869 – Shields Brick and Grinding Works, and Irish Limekilns, 130 West Street.
1869 – 1870 – Shields Brick and Grinding Works, and Irish Limekilns, 130 West Street.