Terrence Honore of the Palmiste Historical Society states – It was found at the former Palmiste sugarcane estate at Palmiste San Fernando Trinidad. Site of an old brick bridge for use by trains transporting sugarcane circa the 1800s. Allan & Mann, Port Eglinton, Glasgow Alternative brickworks include: Rutherglen Pottery, Glasgow. Mallsmire Works, Myrtle Park, Crosshill,…
Allan & Mann, Port Eglinton, Glasgow
Alternative brickworks include:
- Rutherglen Pottery, Glasgow.
- Mallsmire Works, Myrtle Park, Crosshill, Glasgow.
1837 – The 1985 publication ‘A survey of Scottish brickmarks’ suggests that Allan and Mann were operating the works from 1837.
1840 – 1841 – David Baird, brickmaker at Allan & Mann – Ho, 181 Eglinton Street
1841 – 1842 – Allan & Mann, common and fire brick and tile makers, Port Eglinton p25
1843 – 1844 – Allan & Mann, Common and fire brick and tile makers, Port Eglinton
Below – 20/09/1847 – Glasgow Herald – Sale at Messrs Allan & Manns Brickfield, Bryceland on the road leading to Pollokshaws and a short distance from the south end of Main Street, Gorbals.
1849 – 1850 – Allan and Mann, common and fire brick makers, Port Eglinton.
1852 – The Lost Gardens of Glasgow University by Arthur Donald Boney, 1988. – In July 1852 Messrs Allan & Mann, brickmakers, offered Faculty £300 per annum for the lease of the ‘upper green of the Observatory Park (Glasgow) for working out the clay contained in it for a limited number of years.’
1852 – 1853 – Allan & Mann, brick makers, Port Eglinton, Glasgow.
1853 – 1854 -Allan & Mann, brick, drain-tile, petrified pipe manufacturer and builders, Port-Eglinton Brickworks, Canal street.
31/10/1855 – Glasgow Herald – Found three sheep. The owner may have them by proving his property and paying expenses. If not claimed within six days from this date, they will be sold or otherwise disposed of to defray expenses. Apply to Mr Lockerbie, Port-Eglinton Brickworks, Glasgow. 30th October 1855.
Below – 1858 – Port Eglinton Foundry. There is a brickfield marked at the top centre of the map, at the end of Canal Street. There is a reference to drying sheds and kiln which I assume is the brickworks location.
1858 – 1861 – ScotlandsPlaces – Brickworks near Falfield Mill, A Bow Esqr. A group of buildings comprising Engine House, Drying Shed, [kiln?] with a large Brickfield [–]
The property of A & T [Bow?] (Note – SBH – This is confusing. The Shields Bridge Brickworks on the 1858 map are on the west of the railway but the location of the works described here by ScotlandPlaces are on the east of the railway which were worked by Allan and Mann. It is possible of course, that c. 1858 the works changed hands from Allan and Mann to A & T Bow).
1860 – 1861 – Allan & Mann, builders and manufacturers of common and fire bricks, tiles, vitrified pipes, and other fire clay goods, Rutherglen Pottery; office, 48 St. Enoch square.
Below – 1861 – Advert Allan & Mann Glasgow.
1862 – 1863 – James Thomson, manager for Allan & Mann; ho. 22 Canal Street, Port-Eglinton.
Below- 21/09/1863 – Northern Whig – W. D Henderson, Belfast agents for Garnkirk, Allan & Mann and J & M Craig.
04/07/1865 – Belfast News – Scotch Fireclay goods – Scottish fire clay goods. Builders, Contractors, &c., will find the largest and most varied stock of the above goods kept in Ireland at my depots- Queens Quay, Belfast and 56, North Wall, Dublin.
The Goods are second to none in the market and at lowest rates, white bricks (extra finished), for Facing, Buildings, in great variety. Also, glazed sewerage pipes, with patent or socket joints. Robert Brown.
01/08/1867 – The Dublin Builder – White brick – The subscribers, as agents for Ireland for Messrs Allan & Mann of Glasgow, would invite the attention of Architects and builders to the unrivalled brick manufactured by this firm. These are in every respect superior to any other white brick manufactured. Sample boxes and price lists will be sent free on application. W.D Henderson & Sons, Insurance Buildings, Victoria Street, Belfast.
1868 – 1869 – Allan, Hugh (of Allan & Mann), house, 3 Argyle Terrace, Crossbill.
Allan & Mann, builders and contractors, manufacturers of common and fire bricks, tiles, and fireclay goods; depot. Canal Street, Port-Eglinton; office, 48 St. Enoch square.
1869 – Allan & Mann, 22 Canal Street, Port Eglinton, Glasgow. Office St Enoch Sq.
24/11/1869 – The Glasgow Herald – Court of Session Allan & Mann V Dixon’s Trustees.
Below – 29/06/1870 – Northern Whig. Allan & Mann advert.
29/07/1870 – Greenock Telegraph – To builders – Daniel Devlin, in continuing the business carried out by Allan & Mann at 11 Patrick Street begs to intimate that he now has on hand a large and well-selected stock of Caithness and Arbroath pavement, drain pipes, chimney cans, ornamental bricks and fire clay goods of every description. Portland and Roman cements, Arden Lime etc – 11 Patrick Street, Greenock. July 1870.
1870 – 1871 – Allan, Hugh (of Allan & Mann), house, 3 Argyle Terrace, Crosshill.
Below – 29/10/1872 – Glasgow Herald – Hugh Allan, Brick manufacturer, Crosshill, Renfrewshire – Bankruptcy examination.
1880 – 1885 – Invoices numerous – Allan and Mann, builders and manufacturers of composition and fire bricks, tiles, vitrified pipes &c, Patent pressed machine and hollow common bricks, roof ridge, drain and floor tiles, fire covers, gas retorts, grate backs, vases, chimney cans, cow troughs, wall copes. Office 48 St Enoch Square, Glasgow.
1882 – Allan & Mann, Brickmakers, Rutherglen.
13/04/1885 – Glasgow Herald- Red brickwork to let at Myrtle Park, Crosshill. Brickmaking can be commenced at once – apply Allan & Mann, 48 Enoch Square, Glasgow.
12/04/1886 – Glasgow Herald – Red brickworks to let at Crosshill, Glasgow with machinery plant etc in working order. Nearly a seasons make of clay being raised, brick making can be commenced as soon as weather will permit. Apply Allan & Mann, 48 St Enoch Square.