Shields brick and tile works, Tradeston, Glasgow.

0 71

A & T Bow, Brick and Tile makers, Shields brick and tile works, Tradeston, Glasgow.

Canmore

1835 – 1836 – A. & T Bow, Brick and tile makers and builders. Works at Shields West Street, Tradeston.

A. Bow of A & T Bow. House 43 Crown Street.

1836 – 37 – A. & T Bow, Brick and tile makers and builders. Works at Shields West Street, Tradeston.

A. Bow. House 43 Crown Street.

1837 – 1838 – A. & T Bow, Brick and tile makers and builders. Works at Shields West Street, Tradeston.

A. Bow of A & T Bow. House 46 Rose Street, Hutchestown.

1839 – A. & T Bow, Brick and tile makers and builders. Works at Shields West Street, Tradeston.

A.Bow – House  – 73 Crown Street, Hutchesontown.

1840 – 1841 – Bow, A. & T., brick and tile makers and builders. Works at Shields West Street, Tradeston.

A. Bow of A & T Bow, Bow House, 70 Crown Street, Hutchesontown, Glasgow.

1843 – 1844 –  Bow, A. & T., brick and tile makers and builders. Works at Shields West Street, Tradeston. Counting House 5 Govan Street, Glasgow.

Below – 19/10/1846 – Glasgow Herald – Shieldsbridge brick and tile works for sale. Apply to Mr Robertson at the works. The sale is to make way for the works of the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway however it still appears to be in place in 1858? (Note: from the name of the works and the same general location description, I believe Shieldsbridge brick works is the same as Shield brick works. However, as the advert suggest the Works were being demolished to allow the railway to expand but if that is the case where were the new works built?)

Below – 24/09/1847 – Man found dead at Brick Works owned by Mr Bow.

Below – 1852 – Advert Shields Brick and Tile Works  – A & T Bow.

1852 – 1853 – A & T Bow, Brick makers, 45 Govan Street, Glasgow.

25/04/1853 – Glasgow Herald – To let unfurnished at Pollokshields. The Corner Villa of St Andrew’s and Shield’s Roads containing dining and drawing rooms, four bedrooms, kitchen and scullery and washing house with garden and shrubbery in front. Apply A & T Bow, Shields Brick Works or R. Bald, 174 Trongate. – Glasgow 21/04/1853.

23/12/1854 – Glasgow Sentinel – The workers of James Bow, Brick works donated  £2 10s to the Patriotic Fund and towards maintaining the wives and children of soldier, sailors and marines presently serving in the East

1855 – A & T Bow, Shields Brick and Tile Works, West Street, Tradeston.

Below – 13/12/1856 – Glasgow Herald – A & T Bow  – Clay holes under fire from Newspaper and Public following an accident there.

.

.

02/01/1857 – Glasgow Herald  – Grinding.  A & T Bow, Brickmakers and Builders, West Street, Tradeston, respectfully intimate that they have always on hand a Stock of Fresh ground cement, which, upon trial, will be found equal if not superior to any in the Market.  They will be most happy to undertake the grinding of manures or oil cake at very moderate rates.  They have likewise attached rollers for crushing oats, which are found to be both cheap and beneficial for Horses.
ground gypsum, which is found to be an excellent Top Dressing for Wheat, supplied at the rate of 40s. per ton, laid down at any of the Railway Stations, Glasgow.
Shields Brick and Tile Works,  Glasgow, 15th Dec., 1856.

Below – 25/02/1857 – Glasgow Herald – Derrick crane for sale

Below – 1858 –  Shields Brick and Tile Works (The brick works are not depicted on the – 1894 – OS Map but the clay pit is still evident although not marked as such – The railway terminus now sits where the brickworks was situated in 1858 – see the 1846 entry also – However where were the ‘new’ Shield Brick Works situated? Later entries below state it was West Street, Tradeston which was basically where the site on the 1858 map was?)( The clay pit is marked on the – 1911 –  OS Map

Below – 1858 – Town plan map – Shields Brick and Tile Works

1859 – Bow, A. & T., brick and tilemakers, builders, and cement and stucco manufacturers, 230 West street, Tradeston.

Below – 27/07/1859 – Glasgow Herald – James Bow of A & T Bow – claims to be settled due to death of James Bow.

02/12/1859 – Glasgow Herald – Notice – Alexander .C. Hood is no longer in the employment of Messers A & T bow and has no authority to uplift any accounts or transact any business in their name after this date. Shields Brick and Tile Works 20/11/1859

Below – 09/01/1860 – Glasgow Herald – A & T Bow grinding oil cakes and manures.

Below – 17/02/1860 – Glasgow Herald – To Let Havelock Villa, Pollockshields.

16/04/1861 – Glasgow Herald – To Let – in West Front of New Terrace, Pollokshields, a first class house in first floor containing 6 rooms and kitchen with bathroom and all conveniences. Rent moderate. Apply A & T Bow, Shields Brick and Tile Works.

1861 – A & T Bow, Brickmakers and Builders and drain pipe and roof tile manufacturers, Shields Brick and Tile Works, West Street, Tradeston.

Below – 1861 – Advert A & T Bow Shields Brickworks Glasgow

1861 Advert A & T Bow Shields Brickworks Glasgow

1863 – 1864 –  Bow, A. & T., brick and tilemakers, and builders, Shields works, 230 West street, Tradeston.

Mrs James Bow (of A. & T. Bow), house, Havelock cottage, Pollokshields,

1865 – 1866 – Bow, A. & T., brick and tilemakers, builders, &c., Shields works, 230 West street, Tradeston.

Mrs James Bow  (of A. & T. Bow), house, 6 Cecil place. Paisley road

18/07/1866 – Glasgow Herald – Bricks for sale at Shields Brick Works. 130 West Street, Tradeston.

1866 – 1867 –  Shields Brick and Grinding Works, and Irish Limekilns, 230 West st.; office, 137 West George st.

1867 -Brickmakers and builders ,62 St James Street, Kingston, Glasgow.

1867 – 1868 – Shields Brick and Grinding Works, and Irish Limekilns, 130 West st. ; office, 54 St. Enoch sq.

1867 – 1868 – Baird, Son, & Co., Shields Brick Works and Grinding Mills, 130 West street, Tradeston; office, 54 St. Enoch square.

1868 – 1869 – Wallace, John, brickmaker and builder, Shields Brick Works, 130 West street; house, Bloomvale lodge, 82 Crownpoint road.

1868 – 1869 – Shields Brick and Grinding Works, and Irish Limekilns, 130 West street.

1869 – 1870 – Shields Brick and Grinding Works, and Irish Limekilns, 130 West street.

Tagged with:

Similar articles

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *