Canmore (These work may have been connected in business with the Jenny Lind Composition Brickworks – Source – Survey of Scottish Brickmarks) 21/05/1881 – Lanarkshire Upper Ward Examiner – Messrs Dixon Ltd. Manufacture bricks at their Carfin Colliery, near Motherwell. For prices, &c, apply there or at Calder Ironworks, Coatbridge. 18/10/1884 – Wishaw Press –…
Govan Colliery Brickworks, Polmadie, Glasgow.
Below – 1893 – Fire Brick Works, Govan (top left of map). (Note SBH – I am uncertain if these fire brick works were associated with the Govan Colliery or whether they were independent works with another name?).
c.1899 – c.1938 – The 1985 publication ‘A survey of Scottish brickmarks’ suggests William Dixon owned the brickworks between these dates.
09/05/1906 – The Scotsman – William Dixon Limited – Issue of shares for public subscription. The prospectus states – The company also owns brickworks at Calder, Govan Colliery and Carfin Colliery of the most modern type capable of producing 50,000 bricks per day.
1906 – 1907 – Dixon, Wm. Ltd. Govan, Garturk, and Carfin Brickworks, 1 Dixon Street.
1909 – 1910 – Dixon, Wm. Ltd. Govan, Garturk, and Carfin Brickworks; office, 1 Dixon Street.
Below – 1910 – Govan Colliery Brickworks, Polmadie, Glasgow.
Below – 1934 – Govan Colliery Brickworks, Polmadie, Glasgow.
Below – 1935 – Govan Colliery Brickworks, Polmadie, Glasgow.
John Paterson, brickmakers and building contractors were founded around 1865, by John Paterson, the son of a stonemason. The business became John Paterson & Son in the mid-1880s when John Paterson Junior (c. 1873–1931) joined the firm. Over the next three decades, they became increasingly active in brickmaking, acquiring Nursery, Sheepmount, Caledonian and Temple Brickworks,…
Found at the site of the Calder Ironworks, Coatbridge. Carfin Brickworks, Motherwell, Lanarkshire Alternative brickworks include: Garturk Brickworks, Calder, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire. Govan Brickworks, Glasgow. Below – Note the frog shape with the ‘eyelid’ to the front. The rear is ‘normal’ in appearance. Below – This same stamp was found at the same location along with…
So far only 2 different letters have been found associated with the Dixon stamp. ‘G’ and ‘A’. It is suspected that the ‘G’ stands for the Garturk Brickworks and ‘A’ for the Auchlochan Brickworks, both of which were at one point owned by Dixon. Garturk Brickworks, Calder, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire Owned by the Carnbroe Ironworks. Working…
The works were owned by the Ironmaster William Dixon of Govan. It is believed the brickworks were operational pre-1854 and were managed by Allan and Mann, St Enoch’s Square, Glasgow. (Note – SBH – Were the Mallsmire Fire Brick Works and the Red Clay Works on the same site or neighbouring?) c.1854 – Brickworks established?…
So far only 2 different letters have been found associated with the Dixon stamp. ‘G’ and ‘A’. It is suspected that the ‘G’ stands for the Garturk Brickworks and ‘A’ for the Auchlochan Brickworks, both of which were at one point owned by Dixon. Canmore Canmore Canmore Below – 17/12/1855 – Glasgow Herald – Auchlochan…
Found by Ian King in Coatbridge. Calder Iron Brick Works, Whifflet, Coatbridge. . . . .
Found by Eddie McLean in the Glasgow area. Manufactured at the Calder Iron Brick Works, Coatbridge as owned by William Dixon & Co. (Probably named Gartuck or Garturk Brick Works). . . .
Found by David Ivey in Wishaw. Calder Iron Brickworks, Whifflet, Coatbridge. . . . .
Canmore – Carfin Tileworks -1859 – Depicted and named ‘Clay Pit’, unnamed clay pit and ‘Kiln’ and four roofed buildings, three of which are on the site of the later Carfin Brickworks. By 1897, the tileworks clay pit at had been abandoned and the kiln and L-shaped building demolished, as have the other three roofed…