Found by Eddie McLean in the Glasgow area. Garturk Brickworks, Calder, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire. Alternative brickworks: Rochsolloch Brickworks, Coatdyke, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire. The name ‘Brand’ crops up twice in “A Survey of Scottish Brickmarks” with the first instance being Robert Brand proprietor/owner of Garturk Brickworks and the other, James, Janet and Robert Brand, also proprietors/owners, of…
So far only 2 different letters have been found associated with the Dixon stamp. ‘G’ and ‘A’. It is suspected that the ‘G’ stands for the Garturk Brickworks and ‘A’ for the Auchlochan Brickworks, both of which were at one point owned by Dixon.
Garturk Brickworks, Calder, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire
Owned by the Carnbroe Ironworks. Working prior to 1863. Its name was changed to Gartuck or Garturk Brickworks by 1914. Source – Kenneth W Sanderson.
(1889 – The 1985 publication ‘A survey of Scottish brickmarks’ suggests that Robert Brand was the operator of these works?).
1893 – Garturk Mine. Owned by William Dixon Ltd, 1 Dixon Street, Glasgow. Mining coal and fire clay. John Allan Manager.
(Note – SBH – Supplying fire clay to the Calder Ironworks Brickworks?)
31/12/1896 – Invoice – From Acme Steel and Foundry Co, 81 Garngad Road, Glasgow to William Dixon Ltd, Calder Ironworks. Supplying 8 Acme all-steel brick bogies (open sides) fitted with 10″ diameter steel flange wheels and 1 1/2″ diameter axles.
Below – 1897 – The Calder Ironworks Brickworks which later changed its name to Gartuck Brickworks.
1903 – 1904 – William Dixon Ltd. Govan, Garturk, and Carfin Brickworks, 1 Dixon Street.
1905 – 1906 – William Dixon Ltd. Govan, Garturk, and Carfin Brickworks, 1 Dixon Street.
31/12/1905 – Invoice from The Coatbridge Gas Company to William Dixon Ltd for works on anew laboratory at Garturk Brickworks.
1906 – 1907 – William Dixon Ltd. Govan, Garturk, and Carfin Brickworks, 1 Dixon Street.
21/12/1906 – Invoice – R. B Tennent Limited, iron and steel founders, Whifflet Foundry, Coatbridge to William Dixon Ltd. Supplying goods to Garturk Brickworks, Calder including ‘brick stamps’.
(1907 – c. 1928 – The 1985 publication ‘A survey of Scottish brickmarks’ suggests that the Symington bros were the operators at this time?).
1909 – 1910 – William Dixon Ltd. Govan, Garturk, and Carfin Brickworks; office, 1 Dixon Street.
Below – 1910 – Garturk Brickworks.
Below – 1939 – Garturk Brickworks.