Gilbertfield Colliery & Brickworks, Halfway, Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire

Owned by the Cambuslang Coal Company. The Brick Works Department appears to have been called the Cambuslang Brickmaking Company, Halfway, Cambuslang, Glasgow.

25/03/1880 – Glasgow Evening Citizen – Brick moulder wanted with his own carriers. None but good hand. Apply at the Cambuslang Coal Company’s Brickwork.

1886 – Cambuslang Coal Company Limited, Brickmakers, Gilbertfield, Cambuslang.

26/11/1891 – Glasgow Evening Post – Breach of the Factory Acts in a brickwork. Today, before Sheriff Birnie, at the instance of Mr Maitland. H.M.S. Inspector of Factories, the Cambuslang Brickmaking Company were charged (1) with employing a girl under the age of 16 in their brickworks, and a couple of boys under that age; without having first obtained the certificate of efficiency from the certified surgeon of the district; (2) with employing a young person without having made proper entries in the Factories Register; and (3) with failing to keep affixed in the factory an abstract copy of the Factories Acts. It was explained by the inspector that the department were very particular in reference to girls working in brickfields, as such an occupation had considerable immoral temptation. The offences were admitted, and fines amounting to £2 3s, including costs, were imposed.

Below – 1896 – Gilbertfield Colliery and Brickworks. (Not depicted on the 1938 map).

1896 – Cambuslang Brickmaking Company, Gilbertfield, Cambuslang. 116 St Vincent Street, Glasgow.

21/10/1898 – Hamilton Herald – Sheriff criminal court – On Tuesday James Robertson and John Robertson travelling pipers, no fixed residence were fined 10s each or 7 days for creating a disturbance at Gilbertfield Brickworks, Cambuslang, the previous day.

1903 – Cambuslang Brickmaking Company, Halfway, Cambuslang, Glasgow.

Below – 1910 – Gilbertfield Colliery and Brickworks.

Below – 01/09/1919 – The Scotsman – Gilbertfield Colliery and Brickworks for sale. Messrs John Watson Ltd.

Similar articles