1848 – 1851 – ScotlandsPlaces – Kirkchrist Brick and Tile Works. A brick and tile manufactory having a kiln for burning, a large wooden shed for drying and a small piece of ground attached. The whole surrounded chiefly by a wooden paling. The works take their name from the farm of Kirkchrist on which they…
Cannerton Brickworks, Banknock, Stirlingshire. Alternative Names – Bonnybridge, Banknock, Cannerton Brick Company.
Cannerton Brickworks, Banknock, Bonnybridge Established 1933 on the former Cannerton Colliery Site. Ceased 1982.
Founders Mr J. Anderson, Mr Stewart, Mr Ferguson, Mr Alexander Forbes Hendry (Solicitor).
Mr Stewart and Mr M J Anderson of Greenhill Brickworks opened Cannerton Brickworks in August 1933. Additional backing was gained from Mr Forbes Hendry and Mr Ferguson.
The firm took over the Herbertshire Brickworks but sold the works to the McCaig family. By 1979 many workers were laid off and the original 100 was cut to 50.
Raw materials were obtained from refuse bings connected to Banknock Colliery. The bings were composed of clay and shale which were capable of manufacturing high-quality Cannerton bricks.
Clay was imported from Luggie Bank, Dunbartonshire. This was a high-quality clay.
Additional raw materials were imported from Darngarvils open cast pit at Greengairs, Airdrie.
Mix – 2 parts fireclay to 1 part bing waste. Product – Building bricks, composition bricks. Cannerton trademark. Source Falkirk Heritage and Archives.
The Kilsyth & Bonnybridge Railway was used to transport bricks from Cannerton there being two simple staithes to the east of the station which showered bricks directly into railway wagons. Prior to the building of the railway, the Banknock mines were linked to the Forth & Clyde Canal by a waggon way which is still traceable today which roughly followed the line of the Bush Burn.
There were three Hoffman Kilns with 14, 18, and 30 chambers.
09/08/1933 – Kirkintilloch Herald – Brickmaking at Banknock – New industry in the district. – (Note – SBH – These works appear to be have been built on the site of the old Banknock Brickworks.)
New Brickworks – which were opened on Monday at Banknock by the Cannerton Brick Company, Ltd., introduce a new industry to the district. The works, which are capable of an output of over 150,000 bricks per week, hold out a prospect of welcome relief to an area which has suffered considerably in the resent industrial depression. The inaugural ceremony was performed by Mrs Anderson, of Myrtle Cottage, Dennyloanhead, wife of Mr James Anderson, chairman and managing director of the Cannerton Company. There was a large attendance of industrialists and representatives of commercial interests in the district.
1500 Bricks per hour – The raw material for the works will be obtained from the refuse bings connected with Banknock Colliery, which closed down about two years ago. The bings extended to about 28 acres and are composed principally of clays and shales. Exhaustive tests have been demonstrated that these substances are of a quality which, when mixed in determined proportions, will yield “composition” building bricks of a very high standard. Ample provision has been made at the works for storing sufficient material to maintain the plant in full operation for several days, so that the risk of stoppage through unfavourable weather conditions or mechanical breakdown, rendering the work at the bings impracticable, is reduced to a minimum. The raw material is automatically fed to a grinding mill, where it reduced to an almost impalpable dry powder, and this, in turn, is automatically carried by conveyors to an upper floor. The output of the brick-making plant is about 1500 finished bricks per hour. On leaving the machine delivery table the “green” bricks are conveyed directly to the kiln, no preliminary drying process being necessary. In the kiln, they are burned at a temperature of about 1200 degrees Fahrenheit for seven days, and after being allowed to cool are ready for dispatch. The kiln contains about 14 chambers each with a capacity of about 15,000 bricks. The buildings are of the steel frame type with brick panels. Altogether, the works are capable of an output of over 150,000 bricks per week. The principal contractors were: -Duncan Stewart (Bonnybridge), Ltd., Bonnybridge (kiln, stalk, brick, and concrete work); Geo. Walker, Sons & Co., Glasgow (steel frame, general steelwork, tramways, and incidental machinery); Bradley & Craven, Ltd., Wakefield (brick-making and accessory machinery); and Blackstone & Co., Stamford (engines and generating plant).
Below – c. 1940 – 1955 – Banknock – Cannerton Brickworks.
18/09/1943 – Falkirk Herald – Marriages … Mr Robert Manson (the bride’s father) is the manager of the Cannerton Brick Company Ltd, Banknock.
Below – 1950 – 1967 – Cannerton Brickworks.
Below – 28/07/1977 – The Glasgow Herald – Cannerton Brickworks advert.
c. 1982 – Production ceased?