Cadder Brick Works, Kirkintilloch Road, Cadder, East Dumbartonshire aka Cadder Moss Brickworks. These Brick Works were initially operated as the Cadder Brick Works and run by a Company which changed its title to the Cadder Brick Company and then they were sold to Keir and Cawder who continued to run it as their Cadder Brick…
(Note – SBH – Could these brickworks be the source of bricks marked Garowhill and Garrowhill?)
Gartocher Coal and Brick Company, Barrachnie brick manufacturers, Garrowhill, Glasgow.
30/06/1928 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – At Barrachnie Colliery, Baillieston, owned by the Mount Vernon Coal Coy., Ltd., a new brick producing plant is in course of erection, and it is stated it will be completed in about a month’s time. On Monday the huge chimney stalk, 120 feet high was finished and a flag placed on the top. In the building of this chimney 1000 tons of red bricks were used and the time taken to build it was five weeks, supposed to be a record breaking feat. Messrs William Cleghorn & Son, Newmains are the contractors. All the bricks used on this job are being supplied by the Mount Vernon Coal Coy.’s Broomhouse Brickworks which is producing bricks at the rate of over 100,000 per week.
Below – 02/10/1928 – Dundee Courier – G & J Paton, West Station Buildings, Dundee – Sole agents for Barrachnie, Bishopbriggs, Broomhouse and Craigrigg building bricks.
Below – 02/03/1931 – The Scotsman – The Mount Vernon Colliery Co Ltd (In liquidation) – For sale – The following pits and brickworks belonging to the Company including Cadder Brickworks, Bishopbriggs and Barrachnie Brickworks, Ballieston and Broomhouse brickworks……
Below – 09/08/1932 – The Scotsman – Annie Blane, brickworker embezzles £10 from the Barrachnie brickworks holiday fund. Found guilty at court.
22/09/1933 – Motherwell – Another brick manufacturer fined. At Airdrie Sheriff Court last Friday the Gartocher Coal and Brick Company, Barrachnie brick manufacturers admitted a charge brought by H.M. Inspector of Factories under the Factories and Workshops Act of employing a number of boys on nightshifts and on Sundays. An agent for the firm explained that there was a shortage of hands during the holiday period when work was urgent. Hon Sheriff Forsyth imposed a fine of £5 inclusive of costs.
17/07/1937 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – The well known firm of Henry Boot and Co, Sheffield and Garrowhill Garden Estate builders have now acquired from the Gartocher Coal and Brick Coy, the brickworks at Barrachnie. The Gartocher firm were the last to produce coal in the Ballieston district, at their Shettleston Colliery which adjoins the brickworks. The colliery has now been closed down for some time.
17/07/1937 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – An enquiry was also made into the death of David Hunter, engine fitter. Leckethilll, Gartcosh, who died on April, at the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow from a fracture of the base of the skull sustained by him as a result of an accident on the same day at the doorway of the engineering shop at Barrachnie Colliery Garrowhill occupied by the Gartocher Coal and brick Co.. Ltd. While in the employment of the Glenboig Union Fireclay Co.. Ltd., General Refractories, Glenboig, he was removing a coal cutting machine from the engineering shop by means of a chain block and tackle attached to an unfixed overhead steel girder. The girder was pulled from its position and fell to the ground striking the deceased on the head and body.