Temple Brickworks, Temple, Glasgow

Temple Brickworks, Temple, Glasgow.

John Paterson, brickmakers and building contractors, was founded around 1865, by John Paterson, the son of a stonemason. The business became John Paterson & Son in the mid-1880s when John Paterson Junior (c. 1873–1931) joined the firm. Over the next three decades, they became increasingly active in brickmaking, acquiring Nursery, Sheepmount, Caledonian and Temple Brickworks, all on the south side of Glasgow. The Patersons based themselves at several addresses around Polmadie and Pollokshaws Roads for most of their existence.

By 1881 the firm had a sizeable workforce of 65, and won valuable contracts such as those for the sewers around Glasgow Central Railway, worth £45,000, in 1889; the construction of tunnels for Glasgow’s new underground railway from Shields Road Station (1892–4); and of a tidal weir across the Clyde at Glasgow Green (1895–6).In 1895 they were sub-contractors on Cessnock Dock for the Clyde Navigation Trust and constructed the gasholder tank at Tradeston Gasworks. Their expertise in public utilities saw them involved in the construction of waterworks at Arbroath and Belfast (1898–9), and of a reservoir at Milngavie (1905).

The firm became a limited company in 1891 with a share capital of £40,000. Having decided to concentrate on brickmaking, the company sold off their electric winches, steam cranes, lathes, theodolites, and other builders’ plant in 1913. Their brick kilns in Polmadie Road were still active in 1939.  The firm ceased operations in 1963.  – source

22/12/1898 – Glasgow Herald – Fire at the Temple Brickworks – The Glasgow fire brigade was called out yesterday evening to the Temple Brick Works on the South Bank of the Forth and Clyde Canal to the west of the village of Temple. Detachments were sent on from Hillhead and Northern Stations. The fire had broken out in a two-storey brick building, 36 feet by 21 feet used as an office, engineers store and oil store. A supply of water was drawn from the canal by the steam fire engine. The buildings and contents were considerably damaged. The loss is estimated at about £350.

1901 – 1902 –  Paterson, John, & Son (Ltd.), builders, brickmakers, and contractors, Caledonian Brickworks, Polmadie Road, and Temple Brickworks, off Crow Road; office, 610 Pollokshaws Road. Telephone No. 933; telegraphic address, ” Masonry.”

1907 – Patterson John & Son Limited, brick makers, Temple Brickworks, Fulton Street, Anniesland.

1907 –  Paterson John & Son Limited, brick makers, builders & Contractors. Office 610 Pollokshaws Road & Temple.

1908 – 1909 – Paterson, John, & Son (Ltd.), builders, brickmakers and contractors, Caledonian Brickworks, Polmadie Road, and Temple Brickworks, off Crow Road; Office, 610 Pollokshaws Road. Telephone Nos. Nat.93 Crosshill; P.O. Z 93
Paterson, John, Jr. (of John Paterson & Son), House,94 Stevenson Drive.
Paterson, John, Jun. (of John Paterson & Son, Ltd.), Ho. 4 Kelburne Avenue, Dumbreck.

 

Similar articles