Garscube Brickworks, Great Western Road, Glasgow.

Garscube Brickworks, Great Western Road, Glasgow.

Alternative brickworks include:

  • Dawsholm Brickworks, Maryhill, Glasgow.
  • Garscube Brick & Tile Works, (Mark Hurll’s Works), Glasgow.

03/06/1893 – Glasgow Herald – Joint stock company registered in Edinburgh last week – The Garscube Brick Company Limited, established with a capital of £10,000 divided into 9900 preference shares of £1 each and 100 ordinary shares of £1 each, to take over the lease of certain ground and blae heaps at Dawsholme Renfrewshire and carry on the business of brick manufacturers etc. The registered office is situated at No 82 Gordon Street, Glasgow.

Below – 18/10/1893 – Glasgow Herald – Mark Hurll is sued following an accident at Garscube brick work.

11/01/1896 – Glasgow Herald – Youth (smart) wanted as despatch and time clerk – Apply Garscube Brick Works, Near Temple, Great Western Road.

1896 – 1897 – Garscube Brick Co Ltd – 16 Bothwell Road, Glasgow

Below – 02/03/1896 – Glasgow Herald – Bricks stolen from Garscube Brick Company Limited, Dawsholm. Alex Patrick, Secy, 16 Bothwell Street, Glasgow.

10-pound-reward-for-stolen-bricks-from-garscube

Below – 1859 – Garscube brick and tile works.(Marked as ‘kiln’ below the Garscube Iron Works title.

Below – 1896 – Garscube brick and tile works.

Below – 1911 – Garscube brick and pipe works. and they  appear to be gone by 1933-1935.

c. 1930 – Kenneth Sanderson states in his book The Scottish Refractory Industry 1830 – 1980 – “Hurll owned building brick works and associated clay pits at Garscube, Maryhill, Knightswood, Yoker and Garscadden, all in the Glasgow area. Garscube made sewage pipes on an early Pullen and Mann machine, using fireclays sent from Glenboig. The British Clayworker Magazine of November 1984 reported the discovery of a blue Staffordshire type of clay in the Carluke area, Lanarkshire, which was also used at Garscube for a period. The Garscube and Knightswood Works had closed by the early 1930’s but the Garscadden Works continued until 1948 when it was leased to Keir and Cawder”

Tagged with: , ,

Similar articles