Found by Eddie McLean in the Glasgow area. This is stamped on two sides. Southhook Fireclay Works, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire. Alternative brickworks include: Southhook Potteries, Bonnyton, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire. Southhook Fireclay Works, Dreghorn, Ayrshire. . Below – Note the channel cutting through the left margin on this brick face.
Shawsrigg Fireclay and Enamelling Company, Larkhall, North Lanarkshire.
Southhook Fireclay Works, Dreghorn, Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire.
Bonnyton Fire Clay Works, Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire.
Shawsrigg or Shawrigg.
Shawrigg Fire Clay and Enamelling Co., Ltd – The company was incorporated in 1895 to continue the business carried on by William Hunter at Jamaica Street, Glasgow and at Larkhall. Hunter had taken over an earlier business, the West of Scotland Fireclay and Sanitary Enamelling Company Limited. He took a lease from Henry Hamilton of Raploch dated 1895 covering 200 acres in the lands of Shawburn and Harelees. Their brickworks was situated about 1 1/2 miles south-east of Larkhall, near Shawburn Colliery and was connected to the Shawrigg pit by a mineral railway. The Company went into voluntary liquidation in 1910, when its assets were bought by the Southhook Fireclay Company. It continued trading as Southhook and Shawrigg Fireclay Co Ltd at least to 1921. – Source Kenneth W Sanderson.
1895 – Shawsrigg Fire Clay and Enamelling Co. Ltd Registered.
03/09/1895 – Glasgow Evening Post – New company – Shawsrigg Fireclay and Enamelling Company. Incorporated to carry on the business of William Hunter, Shawsrigg, Colliery.
Below – 1896 – Shawsrigg Fire Clay Works.
14/09/1895 – Glasgow Herald – New joint-stock Scottish company. The Shawsrigg Fireclay and Enamelling Company, formed with a capital of £15,000 divided into shares of £1 each to acquire and carry on the business of coal masters and manufacturers of bricks and fireclay goods presently carried on by Messrs William Hunter & Co, 49 Jamaica Street, Glasgow and Shawsrigg near Larkhall. The registered office is 49 Jamaica Street, Glasgow. The first subscribers were:- Alex Muir, builder, 400 Eglinton Street; Andrew Gray, wright and builder, 30 Bath Street; William Hunter, coal master, 49 Jamaica Street; Alex Morrison, merchant, Bearsden; David Stirling, colliery agent, 49 Jamaica Street; John H. Martin, bookkeeper; W. Traquair, W.S., 11 Hill Street, Edinburgh.
12/09/1896 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – New industry – The Shawsrigg Fireclay and Enamelling Company, by the cutting of the first sod of which ten months ago a new industry was opened up in the Larkhall District of Lanarkshire, are now is almost full operation, and on Friday, on the invitation of the directors, a party of about sixty gentlemen, chiefly shareholders. travelled from Glasgow for the purpose of inspecting them. The party left the Central Station by the one o’clock train for Ayr Road, and upon arriving there brakes were taken for the works. A complete tour was made through the various departments in connection with these, and all the processes in the making of fireclay bricks, enamelled bricks, and other enamelled ware were witnessed, from the raising of the rough, formless clay out of the pit to the turning out of the finished article. Thereafter the party drove to the Commercial Hotel, Hamilton, where luncheon was served, Mr John Paterson, chairman of the directors, presided, and amongst those present were Colonel Bennett, Mr William Hunter, Mr Alexander Muir, Mr Andrew Gray, Captain Paterson, Glasgow; Mr White, Glasgow; Mr Melville, and others. Several toasts were proposed, the most important being “The Shawsrigg Company,” and the chairman was presented with a silver drinking cup by the directors as a mark of their esteem. After the luncheon, the train was again taken from Hamilton to Glasgow, the party arriving in the western capital shortly after six o’clock.
17/11/1897 – Glasgow Herald – The second annual general meeting of-the Shawrigg Fire-Clay and Enamelling Company (Limited) was held yesterday in the office of the Building Trades Exchange, Gordon Street. Mr John Paterson presiding. The annual report for the year ending 31st August stated that during the year additions were made to the drying room accommodation and to the kiln buildings at Shawsrigg Works and the cost of these had been charged to capital. The upkeep and maintenance of buildings and plant had been debited to revenue, and the works were at present in excellent condition. The greater part of the profit for the past year had been earned during the last four or five months of the year, as prior to that time the works could not be put into full operation, owing to the additions above referred to not being completed till the month of May. In the earlier months, the directors had also to meet the difficulties experienced in introducing a new article upon the market and for a considerable period, the sales made were less than the output. Gratifying progress had now been made in this respect, and the deliveries for several months had exceeded the production, while the order book shows that she works would be fully taxed for months to come to meet orders presently in hand. The sum at the credit of profit and loss account was £1049 9s 7d. The directors recommended that a dividend of 5 per cent. be declared for the past year on the A shares of the company, absorbing £559 9s 3d of this sum; that £83 9s 3d be applied to write down the preliminary and legal charges account and that the balance of £40617s 3d is carried to the suspense account to meet contingencies. Since the close of the financial year, the board had arranged to build a few houses at Shawsrigg on a feu which had been taken off near the works to provide accommodation for the works’ manager and others. The estimated cost of these houses was under £400. Owing to the need for holding a large stock of enamelled goods at the works to meet the requirements of the trade the working capital of the company had been found too small, and the directors arranged for an overdraft from the Bank of Scotland on their personal guarantee. They had also considered the question of increasing the capital of the company to provide for present wants in conjunction with the question of an enlargement of the works and recommended that the board to be elected at this meeting should at once proceed with a moderate extension and arrange for a further overdraft to cover the cost meantime. Also that the company’s books should be balanced at the 28th February next, and the profits on the current half-year’s working ascertained and that a carefully prepared scheme for the enlargement or reconstruction of the company should be laid before the shareholders as soon as possible after that date. In connection with this scheme, the directors advise that it should provide for an increase of capital sufficient to double the output of enamelled goods and to, take up the manufacture of sewerage pipes, vitrified bricks, terra cotta goods, and common building bricks, for all of which there are suitable materials in the company’s property. The Chairman, in moving the adoption of the report and statement of accounts, said that all parts of the works were now in proper order and the sales were going on steadily. During the past two months, things had been very satisfactory, and the prospect for the future was better. Mr J.B. Mathie seconded the motion, which was adopted.
20/01/1898 – Plan of the Shawsrigg no.2 pit at Larkhall owned by the Shawsrigg Fireclay and Enamelling Company of Glasgow abandoned for the main coal in November 1897 due to the coal being exhausted. The plan was supervised by Simpson and Wilson, mining engineers and surveyors of Glasgow and approved by J.B. Atkinson.
5/05/1898 – Letter from J.B. Atkinson, Glasgow, to B. Neilson, Shawsrigg Fire Clay mine, Larkhall, confirming that the mine has been opened up from the surface to work a piece of splint coal.
03/01/1902 – Hamilton Herald – Article discussing industry trade for 1901 … The work at the Shawsrigg and Birkenshaw Enamel and brickworks continues to be fair …
Below – 12/07/1902 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – Shawsrigg Fireclay and Enamelling Company V Larkhall Collieries Limited. A dispute over rights to mine clay.
1905 – 1906 – Shawsrigg Fire Clay and Enamelling Co.. Ltd., 370 Eglinton St.
1907 – 1908 – Shawsrigg Fire Clay and Enamelling Co.. Ltd., 370 Eglinton St.
1908 – Shawsrigg Fire Clay and Enamelling Co. Ltd, 2 Oswald Street, Glasgow. The fire clay mine was called Shawrigg, Dalserf. 9 men worked underground and 2 above.
1908 – 1909 – Potter, Alexander (At Shawrigg Fire Clay and Enamelling Co., Ltd.); Ho. 15 Eskdale St., Crosshill.
Below – 1910 – Shawsrigg Fire Clay Works.
Below – 1910 – Shawsrigg Fire Clay Works.
Below – 12/04/1910 – The Edinburgh Gazette – Southhook Fireclay Company buys out the Shawsrigg Enamelling Company and they continue to trade as Southhook Fireclay Company Ltd until at least 1921. ( K. W Sanderson).
04/11/1910 – Edinburgh Gazette – Shawsrigg Fire Clay and Enamelling Co. Ltd (Incorporated under the Companies Acts, 1862 to 1890.) Notice is hereby given, in pursuance of sec. 195 of the Companies (Consolidation) Act, 1908, that a General Meeting of the Members of the above-named Company will be held within the Liquidator’s Office, 40 Gordon Street. Glasgow, on Wednesday the 14th day of December 1910, at three o’clock afternoon, for the purpose of having a report laid before them, showing the manner in which the winding-up has been conducted and the property of the Company disposed of, and of hearing any explanation that may be given by the Liquidator. Dated the fourth day of November 1910. David Cook, Liquidator.
1911 – Register of defunct Companies – Shawsrigg Fire Clay and Enamelling Co. Ltd, registered Edinburgh 1895. Voluntary liquidation April 1910. Undertaking and assets sold to Southhook Fire Clay Co Ltd. Final meeting return registered 15/12/1910.
1910 – 1911 – Shawsrigg Fire Clay and Enamelling Co., Ltd., manufacturers of white and coloured enamelled bricks, also white enamelled sinks, washtubs, closets, urinals, glazed sewerage pipes, &c, and other sanitary goods, 46 Gordon Street.
1910 – 1911 – Shawrigg Fireclay & Enamelling Co., Ltd.
1911- 12 – Southhook and Shawsrigg Fire clay Co Ltd, Bonnyton Works, Kilmarnock.
1912-1913 – Shawsrigg Fire Clay Enamelling Co Ltd, 46 Gordon Street, Glasgow.
Below –22/10/1914 – The Scotsman – Court case – Contract for bricks due for export to Canada. Appeal – Southhook and Shawsrigg Fireclay Co Ltd V Thomas Bell Sons and Co.
1923 -24 – Southhook and Shawsrigg Fire clay Co Ltd, Bonnyton Works, Kilmarnock.
Below – unknown date – Southhook and Shawrigg, Bonnyton Works product catalogue.