(Note – SBH – On the Scottish OS maps, there are 2 brickworks detailed – Garscube Brick and Tile Works and Garscube Brickworks. Both are depicted on the bottom of the 1896 map. The Garscube Brickworks which is the further east of the two is close to Dawsholm. I believe this was also known as…
Canmore – Herbertshire Brickworks, Millstone Grit and Fireclay Ltd, Denny.
Canmore – Herbertshire Refractories? (Note – SBH – From c. 1900. Robert Addie and Sons Ltd owned the Herberstshire Colliery and mined fireclay as well as the coal. Firebricks were made for a while).
Below – Source Falkirk Museum and Archives. – Herbertshire Brickworks, 16 Sutherland Drive, Denny. Established prior to 1922. The Herbertshire Works changed hands several times, Callendar Coal Company which later became the Callendar Brick and Fireclay Company and Cannerton Brickworks being previous owners. In 1968 The Millstone Grit and Fireclay Company bought the Works. The latter consisted of James McCaig Senior and James McCaig Junior and Mr James Pitman. The site had a Mitchell plastic brick making machine. 1 Hoffman circular kiln which was converted to a Belgian Kiln with a firing temp of 1300c. It had 18 chambers. It also at one stage had a tunnel kiln with 90 cars and a firing temp of 1350c. The works made common bricks made from pit blaes obtained from the Herbertshire Colliery. Fireclay was obtained from Slamannan. The works were connected to 3 mines but most of the material was obtained from the Theap Rig Colliery. The Company originally had a siding off Greenhill but this stopped in the 1960s. The Company had 1 lorry and hired lorries from Walker Brothers, Cowdenbeath.
They exported to Sweden, Germany and the Philippines. When Millstone Grit and Fireclay Company took over in 1968 there were 28 employees consisting of 3 setters, 4 trimmers, 1 hand moulder, 1 engineer, 1 bricklayer and 1 electrician. The works originally produced castables, common bricks, high alumina refractories, mouldables, pipes and tiles and when Millstone Grit and Fireclay Company took over they produced Cuppilla (Crown), Cups, Firebricks, Pups (soaps), Scones (splits), side arches, squares, wedges and whelps.
c. 1900 – 1947 – A survey of Scottish brickmarks 1985 suggests that the Callendar Coal Company was the owner.
10/02/1900 – Falkirk Herald – Wanted – Panman (steady) accustomed to mill clay for pipe making – Herbertshire Brickworks, Denny.
26/03/1901 – Dundee Evening Telegraph – Serious accident at brickworks – This morning a most serious accident befell a girl named Jemima Mackie, aged 15 years, employed at the Herbertshire Brickworks, Denny. When engaged working a tile machine her left arm got caught, fracturing the humerus bone, and mangling the arm so severely that it feared amputation will be necessary. She was removed the Cottage Hospital.
27/04/1907 – Falkirk Herald – Wanted, Contractors to empty Hoffman Kilns. Also a few good labourers – Herbertshire Brickworks, Denny.
01/07/1911 – Falkirk Herald – Reference to labourers being charged with sleeping at the Herbertshire Brickworks. The article details that the works were then owned by the Callendar Coal Company.
30/07/1932 – Falkirk Herald – Denny and Dunipace Town Council meeting … Correspondence was read which had passed between Dr Adam, medical officer of health and the Callendar Coal Company, proprietors of the Herbertshire Brickworks with reference to the recent complaint of the alleged emission of black smoke which was troubling the householders at the Herbertshire Park site. The brickworks proprietors intimated they were adopting different fuel which it was hoped would prevent a recurrence.
Below – 28/12/1935 – Falkirk Herald – Callendar Coal advert with reference to Herbertshire Brickworks.
Below – 28/12/1935 – Falkirk Herald – Article on the Callender Coal Company with reference to the Herbertshire Brickworks.
Below – 26/12/1936 – Falkirk Herald – Callendar Coal advert with reference to Herbertshire Brickworks.
Below – 04/02/1942 – Falkirk Herald – Theft of coal.
11/09/1943 – Falkirk Herald – A demonstration of anti-personnel bombs will be given at the Herbertshire Brickworks tomorrow (Sunday) 12th September at 3 pm and on Tues 14th Sept at 7 pm. All members of the fire fighting groups, WVS, and Housewives Section are requested to attend.
Below – 1946 – Herbertshire Brickworks, Denny.
1947 – 1968 – A survey of Scottish brickmarks 1985 suggests that the Callendar Brick and Fireclay Co Ltd was the owner.
01/05/1948 – Falkirk Herald – Experienced brickworks foreman required for Herbertshire Brickworks, Denny. Apply Callendar Brick and Fireclay Co Ltd, Glen Brickworks, Falkirk.
Below – 11/12/1948 – Falkirk Herald – No washing facilities at Denny brickworks. A Denny Brickworks with no washing facilities or messroom, where 35 workmen had to shelter in half-empty kilns and near the boiler for warmth during their luncheon break, and drink water from a spring which the Water Board later refused to approve, was described in Stirling Sheriff Court on Tuesday. Callendar Brick and Fireclay Company, brick manufacturers, Herbertshire Works, Denny, were fined £5 in all for three offences of failing to provide washing facilities, messroom and the supply of wholesome drinking water. Miss N, Forster, H.M. Inspector of Factories, said she was not asking for anything extraordinary, but just the ordinary decencies of life for people working in a messy job. ” I think we should have been able to obtain these facilities without having to bring the respondents before the Court.” An agent said a Nissen Hut had been obtained for use messroom, and washing basins had been provided, but these had simply disappeared, presumably having been broken. The company was doing everything for the welfare of the employees.
06/08/1949 – Falkirk Herald – Wanted, 3 experienced burners for Hoffman kilns – Apply Callendar Brick and Fireclay Co Ltd, Herbertshire Brickworks, Denny.
13/08/1949 – Falkirk Herald – Wanted, 2 experienced mixers for a brick machine, also 6 women for brickworks. Apply Herbertshire Brickworks, Denny.
20/05/1950 – Falkirk Herald – For sale, Nissen hut, 52ft x 18ft, double-lined in perfect condition, been used as a canteen, can be seen at Herbertshire Brick Works, Denny. Arrangements may be made with the Company to rent ground where it sits. Apply J. Gillies, South Garngrew, Castlecary.
20/02/1954 – Falkirk Herald – Obituary – Mr James Haugh Sen, Union Terrace, a man well over 80 years, who spent a considerable part of his lifetime in the management of the Herbertshire Brickworks.
26/02/1955 – Falkirk Herald – Article on Falkirk industry … Coal and iron, however, did not represent the limit of the mineral wealth of the district for on the south-side it was discovered that fire clay and ganister abounded. Thus midway through the last century, the manufacture of refractory bricks became another major industry in the town. The brickwork in Denny exists today and the quality of the product is world-renowned. There must be few furnaces of fireplaces in factories or dwellings or even afloat anywhere in the world that do not contain brick made from the clay of the Denny district.
17/03/1967 – The Edinburgh Gazette – Factories Act 1961, Employment of women and Young Persons Act. In accordance with section 117 of the Factories Act, 1961, the Minister of Labour hereby gives notice that, during the month ending 28th Feb 1967, he has made special exemption orders relating to the employment of women and or young persons at the following factories: … Cannerton Brick Co. Ltd., Herbertshire Brickworks, Denny.
c. 1968 – A survey of Scottish brickmarks 1985 suggests that the Cannerton Brick Company were the owners.
c. 1968 – A survey of Scottish brickmarks 1985 suggests that the Millstone Grit and Fireclay Company were the owners.
c. 1968 – 1980 – A survey of Scottish brickmarks 1985 suggests that the Hepworth Ceramic Holdings Limited were the owners.