This brick was found in St Petersburg, Russia and a photograph was kindly forwarded by Vladimir Smirnov. It may be stamped Christie and Son. The manufacturer is unknown but it is likely to be British and even more likely to be Scottish. Possibly manufactured by Christie & Son, Brick and tile makers, Shore Road, Stirling or…
1865 – John Christie, Brick and tile maker, Cornton, Causewayside, Stirling / Clackmannan.
1871 – Census – John Christie is described as being born c. 1823 and a brick and tile worker – master. Employing 17 men and 3 women. He was living at Forthbank in the Parish of St Ninians.
30/04/1876 – John Christie dies.
Below – 22/07/1876 – Probate for John Christie, Brick and Tile Maker, Stirling who died 30/04/1876.
Below – 17/11/1876 – Glasgow Herald – Cornton and Shore brick works for sale.
22/02/1877 – Stirling Observer (An article referred to in the Stirling Observer 20/02/1917) – The trustees of the late Mr John Christie, brick and tile maker at Stirling and Cornton beg to announce that they have sold the stocks of bricks, tiles, and manufactured goods, belonging the firm of Messrs Christie & Son, to Mr John Govan, brick-maker and brick-buildier, Stirling, who will hereafter carry on the business at these works.
1878 – Christie & Son, Brick and tile makers, Cornton. Office 12 Murray Place, Stirling. ( Note – SBH – This entry confuses me due to the previous entries re the sale of The Shore and Cornton Brickworks)
15/01/1901 – Edinburgh Gazette – A petition having been presented to the Sheriff of Stirling, Dumbarton, and Clackmannan at Stirling, at the instance of the Alloa Coal Company Limited, carrying on business in Stirling and elsewhere, for Sequestration of the Estates of John Govan, Brick and Tile Manufacturer, Stirling, his Lordship of this date granted Warrant for citing the said John Govan to appear in Court on an inducior of seven days from the date of citation, to show cause why Sequestration should not be awarded ; of all which Intimation is hereby given. Henry Robb, Writer, Stirling, Stirling, 14th January 1901.