Found by Ian Suddaby in Aberdeenshire. Centurion Brickworks, Bishopbriggs, East Dunbartonshire owned by the Scottish Brick Company. . . . . . .
Info from Andrew Wood – The META coal mine, brick work & briquetting plant was named after Meta Mary Graham Mitchell. She was the mother of the Managing Director of the Alloa Coal Company, Sir Harold Paton Mitchell. After the mine was nationalised in 1947, the bricks were marked SBC.
Alloa Coal Co Ltd – Meta Brickworks, Fishcross, Clackmannanshire – They owned 2 mines and mined both coal and fireclay. One shaft accessed a eep mine of ,274 feet , the other was a surface mine.
In 1936 – The Board of the Alloa Coal Co set up a brickworks at the Meta Pit. The bricks utilised bing or blaes waste. 24chamber Hoffman Continuos Kiln with an output of 30, 000 bricks per day. In March 1942 the works closed down following a massive down turn in brick demand, due in main to little construction work taking place during the war.
The kiln was a Hoffmann continuous kiln with 24 chambers. It was built by Cleghorn, Newmains. 13.5 m wide x 64.5m long. Circular chimney 3.6m diam at ground level. 36.6 m high.
Below – 12/08/1935 – Dundee Evening Telegraph. – Alloa Coal Company plan to build a large brick making plant at Devon. 50, 000 bricks per day are targeted.
Below – 02/01/1937 – The Scotsman Alloa Coal Company open brick works in May 1936…..in May ( 1936) a brick making plant was erected and so great has been the demand for these bricks that the Company is in the process of installing additional plant to double production.
02/01/1937 – Aberdeen Press and Journal – Reference to the Alloa Coal Company’s assets being sold to the Carron Company, Falkirk – The Alloa Coal Company is one of the oldest private companies in Scotland and celebrated its centenary in 1935. The company will continue to operate their Clackmannanshire colleries where they have a 100 years supply of coal and also their brickworks which will be extended to double their present output of 400,000 bricks per week. (57,000 per day to 114, 000 per day)
Below – 06/12/1938 – Dundee Evening Telegraph – Alloa Coal open a new power plant which generates electricty for their 5 colleries and the Meta brickworks.
1940’s – The Meta Colliery, Clackmannan, owned by the Alloa Coal Company, had one deep mine shaft (2,274 feet) and one surface mine. It mined both coal and fireclay, and could supply its own brickworks with coal ‘on the spot’.
c.1942 – Works close due to a downturn in brick sales.
c. 1945 – The Meta brickworks were re-established.
1947 – The Meta brickworks were taken over by NCB – The National Coal Board.
07/07/1951 – St Andrews Citizen – Scarcity of bricks in St Andrews. NCB asked if they can transport from elsewhere but they state that their brickworks including Brucefield and Meta were heavily committed and could not help.
1969 – The Meta brickworks were taken over by SBC – Scottish Brick Company Limited
1981 – It is believed the Meta brickworks closed for the last time.
Below – Photo of the Meta Brick Work and Briquetting Plant – unknown date.
Below – Meta brickworks aka Old Sauchie Tower brickworks. – unknown date.
Below – Photograph showing the Meta brickworks following the takeover in 1969 by the Scottish Brick Company Limited (SBC) – The origins of the photo are unknown.
Below – A photograph taken by Andrew Wood which depicts the bath house at the Meta Pit.. It is built with
Robertson, Love & Co were liquidated in 1916 but continued to make firebricks as part of United Collieries Ltd. When coal was nationalised in 1947, the brickworks were reorganised as United Fireclay Products Ltd., and comprised the Etna and Atlas Firebrick Works, the Bathville Pipe Works, the UNICOL Tile Works, all at Armadale and the…
Found in Bathville, West Lothian. Barbauchlaw Brick Works, Armadale, West Lothian. . . . .
24/04/1975 – The Scotsman – Scotland’s brickmakers build Scotland’s future. Scottish members of the Scottish Brick Development Association. Cherryton Brick Company. Dewar and Finlay Ltd. Glasgow Iron and Steel. Kirkforthar Brick Co Ltd. Motherwell Brick Co. Scottish Brick Co Ltd.
This example is in the possession of Andrew Wood and was found in the Fife area. Alloa Coal Co Ltd – Meta Brickworks, Fishcross, Clackmannanshire. . . . .
Monkcastle Fireclay Mine, Dalry, North Ayrshire aka High Monkcastle. Canmore Douglas Works used local fireclay mined from Langside at Galston, Smithstone at Kilwinning and Monkcastle, which was the last of these local mines to supply fireclay to the works. After Monkcastle stopped supplying the works in 1981, raw materials for production had to be brought…
This mine was sunk to supply the Stein Castlecary Firclay Works with high alumina grade clay. (Thistle fireclay). Silica clay was also found and this was used to manufacture silica based firebricks. 20/04/1903 – Work starts on the mine. 04/11/1903 – Clay was reached and a further return airway shaft was dug and this took…
Found by Ian Suddaby at Carberry, East Lothian. This example is not in my possession. LB – Likely to stand for Lochgelly Brickworks as SBC took them over in 1969. The ‘B’ looks like an 8 in the photo but it is definitely a ‘B’. SBC – Scottish Brick Corporation or Company. . .
Ayrshire Bauxitic Clay – An allochthonous deposit? – S.K. Monro, F.C.Loughnan and M.C. Walker. 1944 – 1967 – Bauxite Clay, Dubbs Quarry, Saltcoats. (Note – SBH – I believe this was operated by the Ayrshire Bauxitic Clay Company Ltd.)
17/11/1887 – John Stein starts to drive the mine with 6 employees. 26/02/1888 – The clay is reached. 11/11/1911 – Falkirk Herald – Sequel to a clay mine fatality – ln Falkirk Sheriff Court Thursday, public inquiry was held in presence of Sheriff Moffatt and a jury, in regard to to the death of Clark Reid,…