Found by Michael Fallone in the Glasgow area. Bell, Hornsby & Co, 197 Pollokshaws Rd; Brickfields, Polmadie, Glasgow, Langlands, Govan, Blairdardie, Duntocher. . . . .
1863 – Bell and Hornsby letterheads of 1893 state that Bell, Hornsby & Co were established in 1863 and reference the Polmadie Brickworks, Glasgow and the Langlands Brickworks, Govan on the same letterheads. The brickworks may not have been established at the same time as the Company.
1873 – 1874 – The Langlands Brick Co, Langlands, Govan.
1873 – 1874 – Bell, Hornsby & Co. 197 Pollokshaws Rd.
26/10/1875 – Glasgow Herald – Langlands Brickwork, West End of Govan. Sale of 10 valuable draught horses and several useful ponies. Filly, rising two years nearly thoroughbred, out of celebrated West Country mare by Mr Houldsworths thoroughbred, Czar. 1 lorry in good order (to carry 5 tons). 1 lorry with portable sides (light, suitable for furniture &c), 6 close carts, harness &c.(The property of Robert Dempster Esq and others who are reducing stock owing to the completion of contracts and the close of the brickmaking season). James Laird has received instructions to sell as above, today(Tuesday) 26th October commencing at 12 o’clock. Langlands Brickworks is a few minutes walk on the Langlands Road, south-west of car terminus.
1875 – 1876 – Langlands Brick Company, Langlands, Govan, Glasgow.
1878 – 1879 – William McNeish, Langlands Brickworks, 168 McLean St.
07/05/1880 – Glasgow Herald – Brickfield workers wanted. Clayholemen, Dykers &c. Apply to the foreman of Langlands Brickworks, Govan.
Sept – Nov 1880 – Invoices – Bell and Hornsby and Co, brickmakers, builders and contractors. Office 197 Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow. ( No reference to a particular brickworks )
28/06/1884 – Sept 1884 – Invoices – Bell and Hornsby and Co, brickmakers, builders and contractors. Brickworks Polmadie and Langlands, Govan. Office 197 Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow.
1886 – Bell, Hornsby & Co, 197 Pollokshaws Rd; Brickfields, Polmadie, Glasgow, Langlands, Govan, Blairdardie, Duntocher.
1891 – 1895 – Invoices – Bell and Hornsby and Co, brickmakers, builders and contractors. Brickworks Polmadie, Glasgow and Langlands, Govan. Office 176 Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow.
Below – 1894 – Langlands Brickworks, Govan.
1896 – 1897 – Bell, Hornsby & Co – Brickmakers, 176 Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow. (Note – SBH – I have added this reference here as I do not know which of Bell, Hornsby and Co’s works it refers to).
1910 – The Langlands Brickworks look to have gone by 1910.
Source – Bell, Hornsby & Co. – Mason and brickwork contractors – Bell, Hornsby & Co. were a building and contracting firm, and one of many brick manufacturers in the Glasgow area. From the 1860s to the 1890s, local brick was widely used for factories, and for the internal and rear walls of stone-faced commercial and domestic buildings). Of the original partners, Alexander Hamilton seems to have been the longest-established, manufacturing bricks at Lilybank off Eglinton Street, on the south side of the city, from about 1852. He expanded into tile making, operating from a second brickworks at Strathbungo in 1858, before becoming a ‘silent partner’ in Bell, Hornsby. Another partner, Robert Bell, possibly ran a bricklaying firm in South Wellington Street c. 1857 (He is not to be confused with the wealthy Wishaw and Broxburn industrialist of the same name, who was also a brickmaker). Other partners were John Thomson Hornsby and Alexander Whitelaw, a Greenock based builder.
The firm of Bell, Hornsby first appears in the Glasgow Post Office Directory for 1864 as ‘brickmakers, builders and contractors’, based at Hamilton’s premises. Bell, Hornsby and Hamilton at first all lived beside their works, before moving elsewhere. They shed a partner in 1868 when Whitelaw chose to continue on his own.
By 1875, the partners had taken over Polmadie Brickworks, Rutherglen Road, with its clay pits nearby at Mallsmire Burn. Brickmaking was a seasonal activity; since clay digging was impossible in winter when the ground froze, and good weather was important for initial drying. Rather than pay for the upkeep of draft horses over winter, the brickmakers, including Bell, Hornsby, sold them off. As a supplementary activity during the closed season Bell, Hornsby erected one or two blocks of tenements at a time (probably using their own bricks) in the fast-growing working-class area of Polmadie. Of the 46 tenements built there, ‘Robert Bell, house factor, and John Bell, mason’ were proprietors, and therefore the likely builders, of five.
In 1883, Bell, Hornsby were prosecuted for a breach of the Factory Act: ‘Inspectors were very particular in enforcing the law with respect to the employment of young girls [under 16 years] in brickfields’. By the time Robert Bell retired in 1886, the firm was running an additional brickworks at Blairardie, which was beside its own clay pits at Garscadden, and another at Govan. The business was continued into the 20th century by John Hornsby Junior, after his father’s retirement in 1896. Since the late 1860s, it had been based at 197 Pollokshaws Road, and it continued to operate from here until at least the 1920s.