Muirhouses Brickworks, Eglinton Street, Glasgow. (See also Barlinnie Fireclay Works and Campbellfield Brick Tile and Pottery Works and Strathbungo Brickworks). Below – 1856 – Muirhouses Brickworks, Eglinton Street, Glasgow. Below – 26/11/1859 – Paisley Herald – Court case – Ritchie Watson & Co, Iron founders, Etna Foundry, Lillybank Road V William Wilson & Son, Brickmakers,…
Strathbungo Brickworks, Strathbungo, Glasgow AKA – Coplawhil or Coplawhill Brickworks?
Bell, Hornsby & Co. were a building and contracting firm, and one of many brick manufacturers in the Glasgow area. From the 1860s to the 1890s, local brick was widely used for factories, and for the internal and rear walls of stone-faced commercial and domestic buildings). Of the original partners, Alexander Hamilton seems to have been the longest-established, manufacturing bricks at Lilybank off Eglinton Street, on the south side of the city, from about 1852. He expanded into tile making, operating from a second brick works at Strathbungo in 1858, before becoming a ‘silent partner’ in Bell, Hornsby. Another partner, Robert Bell, possibly ran a bricklaying firm in South Wellington Street c. 1857 (he is not to be confused with the wealthy Wishaw and Broxburn industrialist of the same name, who was also a brickmaker). Other partners were John Thomson Hornsby and Alexander Whitelaw, a Greenock-based builder.
1857 – 1858 – William Fogo, brick and tile maker, Strathbungo, Glasgow.
07/2/1878 – North British Daily Mail – Strathbungo. New brickfield. The large field lying close on the north of this village, betwixt the Victoria and Pollokshaws Roads, and which was for many years been occupied as a drill and campground by Volunteer regiments, and by cricket and football clubs, has been leased by Messrs Wm. Wilson & Son, of the Muirhouse Brickworks. The clay has been found on excavation to be of good quality and the necessary roads through the ground are in process of formation, and the materials for the erection of the engine house and offices are partly laid down. Govanhill, Crosshill &c, are nearly surrounded by works of this description and the erection of an additional one will not enhance their salubrity or the value of their house property. The ground belongs to the trustees of Hutchesons Hospital. The thousands of daily travellers to and from the Queen’s Park will hardly relish passing along the Victoria Road with the fumes of the coals from the burning bricks on each side of the road and will regret that the ground was not put to some other purpose.
Below – 1888 – Strathbungo Brickfield (Note – SBH – The structure on the north side of the junction of Nithsdale Drive and Pollockshaws Road is the kiln of the Nursery Brickworks).