Gateside Colliery and Brickworks, Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire

Canmore.

c. 1899 – 1947 – The 1985 publication ‘A survey of Scottish brickmarks’ suggests that the Flemington Coal Co Ltd were owners during this time.

Below – 1910 – Gateside Colliery and Brickworks.

1923 – The Flemington  Coal Co. (Ltd.) – mining coal and fireclay. James Dalgleish, Manager, Gateside mine.

1933 – The Flemington  Coal Co. (Ltd.) – mining coal and fireclay. “Flemington” Brickworks. Annual output, 10,000,000. Coates Park Mine, Burnside, T.J McCoustra Manager and Gateside Mine, Cambuslang. Wm Monaghan Manager.

Below – 1934 – Gateside Colliery and Brickworks.

1936 – 1937The Flemington  Coal Co. (Ltd.), coalmasters and Brickmakers, Gateside Colliery, Cambuslang; depot, Gushetfaulds; office, 4 W. Regent St. C.2. Tel. Add; Flemington, Glasgow. Telephone, 1226 Douglas.

1940 – The Flemington  Coal Co. (Ltd.) – Mining coal and fireclay. “Flemington” Brickworks. Annual output, 10,000,000. Coates Park Mine, Burnside and Gateside Mine, Cambuslang.

1947 – The Flemington  Coal Co. (Ltd.) Coates Park Mine, Burnside and Gateside Mine, Cambuslang. A Howden manager of both.

1947 – The National Coal Board take over.

08/02/1963 – West Lothian Courier – National Coal Board. Central Area review. 1962 – The Central Area was formed at the beginning of the year by amalgamating the Central East and Central West areas … Brickworks – There are six brickworks operating in this area, namely Barbauchlaw, Blantyreferme, Gartshore and Gateside, Newton and Northfield. Some 54 1/2 million bricks were produced during the year. These works now come under the Brickworks Executive. which was formed earlier this year …

1969 1971 – The 1985 publication ‘A survey of Scottish brickmarks’ suggests that the Scottish Brick Corporation owned the works during this time.

Similar articles