This product is in the possession of Ian Suddaby. Ian states – “Gustav Bischof was Professor of Technical Chemistry at the Andersonian University in Glasgow and in 1863 he invented and patented the process of filtering water through spongy iron and sand to purify it. It won a number of international medals from 1872 on….
Coats Brickwork, Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire
The name Brand crops up twice in “A Survey of Scottish Brickmarks” with the first instance being Robert Brand proprietor/owner of Garturk Brickworks and the other, James, Janet and Robert Brand, also proprietors/owners, of Rochsolloch Brickworks.
25/11/1856 – Edinburgh Gazette – Bathgate, Airdrie and Coatbridge Railway – A Branch Railway diverging out of or from the said Main Line, and commencing at a point at or near Brand’s Brick and Tile Work at Pottery, in the Parish of Old Monkland and County of Lanark, and terminating by a Junction with that part of the Monkland Railways called the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway, at a point at or near the Dundyvan Basin of the Monkland Canal, in the same Parish and County.
Below – 31/12/1856 – Glasgow Herald – Notice is hereby given that the business carried on at Coats Brickwork, near Coatbridge in the name of Mrs J Brand, was carried on by Robert Brand, brick manufacturer there, the lessee, for his own behoof and that the connection of the subscriber, Mrs Brand, was merely nominal; and notice is farther given that from and after this date, the business will be carried on by the said Robert Brand in his own name and for his sole behoof. 24/11/1856 – Janet Brand. Robert Brand.
Below – 1858 – Coats Brickwork. (The Works do not appear to be depicted on the 1896 map)
1862 – Robert Brand, Pottery Brickworks, Coatbridge.
1864 – ScottishMining Website – The abundance of coal and the ready transit for manufactured goods to the west market brought another branch of the industry into existence. With abundance of excellent fire clay at command, a pottery and tile work – the first in Scotland – was erected on the Coats estate, at a place now called The Pottery, by Mr James Creelman. It was situated on the banks of the canal and gave employment to a considerable number of the inhabitants. The pottery ware produced from these works was of superior quality, and the greater portion of it was exported to America and the West Indies. The Pottery, Brick, and Tile Work, as carried on at present so extensively by Mr Robert Brand, is built near the same site where this famous pottery once stood. The produce of these collieries, and the pottery goods, together with manure from the city for the farmers, formed the principal source of traffic on the canal; and, for many years, the revenue derived was so trifling, compared with the great outlay of capital, that the shareholders almost despaired of its ever proving a profitable investment
1875 – Robert Brand – Coats Brickworks, Coatbridge.
1878 – Robert Brand, brick and tile maker, Coates Brickworks, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire (Composition bricks).
21/05/1879 – Glasgow Herald – Examinations – Robert Brand, Brickmaker, Coatbridge and coalmaster at Glenduffhill and at Glasgow – to be examined in Sheriff Murray’s chambers, County Buildings, Glasgow, 30th May at eleven o’clock.
Below – 24/02/1880 – Edinburgh Gazette –
Below – 01/08/1890 – The Edinburgh Gazette. Meeting of creditors regards the sequestrated Estate of Robert Brand, Brickmaker, Coatbridge.