Grangemouth Firebrick Works, Skinflats, Grangemouth, Falkirk, Stirlingshire
Grangemouth Firebrick Works, Skinflats, Grangemouth, Falkirk.
Grangemouth Coal Co was founded in 1839 with main premises at Grangemouth Colliery. The company extracted fireclay, ironstone and coal from mines in Bothkennar, Falkirk and Polmont, leased from the Earl of Zetland. By the mid-19th century the company was also operating Grangemouth Brickworks, making fireclay bricks and ornamental terracotta pottery and exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851.
Below – 24/07/1850 – Aberdeen Press and Journal –
24/10/1851 – Kincardinshire Advertiser – Great Exhibition Crystal Palace, London – Honourable mentions – Grangemouth Coal Company – terra cotta.
1867 – Grangemouth Fire Brick and Tile Works. GG Mackay, Manager. (Note – SBH – George MacKay was manager from c. 1852 to c. 1880)
1878 – Grangemouth Coal Co – Coal Masters and Fire brick makers – George G Mackay was Managing Partner.
– Brick and Fire Clay Makers. Grangemouth Fire Brick Works, (fire bricks, composition bricks, vases, chimney cans, grate backs, Kinnaird’s vent linings, &c., of finest quality, at moderate prices), Grangemouth Coal Co. — George G. Mackay, managing partner.
1886 – 1887
-Grangemouth Fire Brick & Tile Works, Grangemouth ; George Mackay, managing partner
1893 – 94
– Grangemouth Coal Co (and brick and fire-clay makers) S. Basin St.
Below – 1878
– advert Grangemouth Coal Company.
– Falkirk Herald – …. The brick work in connection with Grangemouth Colliery has been well employed. The company who carry on these works (Grangemouth Coal Company) are, hopeful of getting a railway connection from the proposed new Caledonian line enable them to forward their goods other than by water….
– The Scotsman – Important sale of colliery and electric plant and machinery, brickworks plant etc at Grangemouth Collieries, Grangemouth on Thursday 20th June, 1912 at 10.30am. Shirlaw, Allan & Co have received instruction from Messrs The Grangemouth Coal Co Ltd owing to termination of lease to sell by auction the whole plant and will dispose of the first portion as above. Hamilton – June 1912.