Found by Dr Ian Law at Balmore near Torrance. This example is not in my possession. (Note – SBH – This is recorded meantime as 1893 but it may read 1898). James Goldie and Son, Crow Road, Partick. Goldie, James & Son, brickmakers; Works, Sandyacres, Langside Road, Coplawhill, Victoria Road, Shawfield Toll, Rutherglen Road and…
Westthorn Brickworks, London Road, Glasgow.
c. 1870 – The 1985 publication ‘A survey of Scottish brickmarks’ suggests the works were opened around this time.
19/02/1877 – Glasgow Herald – Cambuslang – Brickwork to let on the Westhorn Estate. The field is close to the railway and affords every facility for a large output and sale which the class of brick will readily command. Offers will be received by Mr George Campbell, City Bank, Cambuslang or Graham Johnston & Fleming, WS, Edinburgh
Below – 1892 – Westthorn Brickworks, Glasgow. The claypit is on the south side of London Road.
Below – 1892 – Westthorn Brickworks.
1904 – 1905 – James Goldie & Son, brickmakers; Office, 62 St. Enoch Square. Works – Shawfield, Rutherglen Road. Westthorn, London Road.
18/11/1905 – Invoice – Jas Goldie & Son, brickmakers, brick builders & contractors. TA – Brickbuilders Glasgow. Works Westthorn, London Road and Shawfield, Rutherglen Road and Shawfield No 2, Rutherglen Road.
1907 – James Goldie & Son, brickmakers; Office, 52 St. Enoch Square and Glasgow Road, Rutherglen. Works West Thorn Brickworks.
c. 1911 – The 1985 publication ‘A survey of Scottish brickmarks’ suggests the works were closed around this time. (Note – SBH – From the information below it appears the works were still open after this date).
Below – 1912 – Westthorn Brickworks, Glasgow. The claypit is on the north side of London Road.
1923 – 1924 – James Goldie & Son, Ltd., brickmakers; registered office, 52 St. Enoch square. Works -Westthorn, London Road.
Please see this link to a brick marked ‘Westthorn, Parkhead, Patent”
Please see this link to a brick marked “Jas Goldie & Son, Westthorn Glasgow”
Main Image – Westthorn House on Westthorn Estate on which lands the brickworks were built.