Found by JC in Fife Believed to be made at Grange Farm, Near Kirkcaldy . . . . .
Grange Farm, Brick and Tile Works, Near Kirkcaldy.
Below – 28/05/1846 – Fife Herald – This could be the start of the Grange Brick and Tile Works. Lime Quarry and brick and tile work in the parish of Kinghorn and the County of Fife. To be let … The Grange lime quarry with fire clay and common clay … situated halfway between the towns of Kinghorn and Kirkcaldy, close to the turnpike road and the Edinburgh and Northern Railway. The clay and limestone lie together and there is plenty of coal in the immediate vicinity. Water power could be obtained at a small cost. For Particulars … Mr J.L Gow, Raith, Kirkcaldy will give directions for showing the ground.
No written records have been unearthed as yet but it is highly likely that the maps below depict the brickworks.
Below – 1855 – Grange Farm, Kirkcaldy. Note the round kiln like structure and a possible boot-shaped claypit.
Below – 1855 – Showing Grange Farm in comparison with Kirkcaldy.
03/01/1856 – Fifeshire Journal – Kirkcaldy and district. Workmen, while employed in digging fireclay nearly 50 yards within the high water mark, in the neighbourhood of the Grange Tile and Brick Work, fell in with the root of a fossil tree, the other day, of singularly large dimensions. It measures three feet in diameter, and the four enormous roots sent forth from the lower extremity of the stem are entire for nearly two feet. The fireclay in which it evidently sprung up and flourished is situated beneath three separate stratified rocks, so that in trying to grasp in comprehension the vast period of time which must have elapsed since it shed its foliage upon the unpeopled earth, we feel the effort so much beyond human computation that the period embraced in the written records of our race must, in comparison, appear but as a drop of the great ocean. The freestone rock immediately above the fireclay is for several yards, all around the spot where this magnificent fossil was found, thickly studded with the impression of its leaves and branches, and from the regularity of the indentations marking the outer bark, we suspect it belongs to that species of plant called by geologists Sygilaria. It is creditable to the taste and judgment of Mr William Henderson that he caused this geological curiosity to be lifted with care to a place of safety, where he will no doubt be kind enough to show it the curious and scientific.
14/02/1856 – Fifeshire Journal – Hurricane. On the evening of Wednesday last we were visited with a hurricane, the like of which has not been in remembrance of the oldest inhabitant which at times was really frightful, sweeping everything before it. The damage in Kirkcaldy and vicinity is great … Grange Tilework destroyed …
24/03/1859 – Fife Herald – Ancient Weapons – Mr Mark Aiton, the clerk of the Grange Brick and Tile Work, has his possession few relics of the “bronze age,” discovered very lately while the labourers at the works were engaged in some preliminary operations on a bank of clay The relics found, consist of a bronze spearhead with blade twelve inches long and another with a blade fifteen inches long. Four or more small blades were got at the same time and are conjectured to be those of short daggers. The heads are different in shape, and though unfortunately the sockets for the shafts are broken, the preserved pieces show the form of the weapons. One of the spears has attached to it some hairs, but an investigation has not yet decided whether these formerly belonged to a human being or not. Professing no antiquarian tendencies, we will not indulge in conjectures on the subject, but leave it to the modern Oldhucks and Doctors Dry-as-dust of the locality to throw light on the meanwhile doubtful cause of their deposit in that spot.
Below – 1894 – Grange Farm, Kirkcaldy. Round like kiln structure has been replaced by a square-shaped structure and the boot-shaped clay pit now appears full of water.
01/11/1952 – Fife Free Press – The Auld Mill Lum – Among the hundreds of bricks that have been taken off the chimney stalk during its partial demolition very few bear any marks of origin. One that was exceptional bearing the inscription Grange Brick and Tile Works, near Kirkcaldy,” has set local antiquarians scratching their heads as the location of such a brickworks which has so far eluded them. The mill lum is nearly 100 years old, 95 to be exact as it was completed in 1858, and no one so far encountered or can recall even stories of a local brickworks, although guesses that it may have been in operation at Seafield are possibly near the mark
Below – 2015 – Google Earth image of Grange Farm, Kirkcaldy.
Below – Example of 2 bricks believed to originate from Grange Farm brickworks.