Torwood Fireclay Mine, Larbert, Falkirk, Stirlingshire

Comments Off on Torwood Fireclay Mine, Larbert, Falkirk, Stirlingshire 7

Torwood Fireclay Mine, Larbert, Falkirk was operated by the Bonnybridge Silica and Fireclay Company from 1948 to sometime in the 1970’s when it was closed.  This fireclay had a high alumina content.

Torwood Mine, Dunipace originally supplied  fireclay to Craigend Refractories at Avonbridge but the latter sold the mine to Bonnybridge Silica and Fireclay Company who continued to work it until it closed. The worked out clay was hauled to the surface by electronically driven winding gear.  In 1978 the mine had 25 employees. Remains of brick structures on the site show they were constructed with Bonnybridge Brand and Drangaini? bricks – Source Falkirk Musuem and Archives.

Similar articles