Rentonhall Tileworks, near Haddington, East Lothian

Rentonhall Tileworks, near Haddington, East Lothian.

Alexander Dougal    1828 – 1899 – as a young man he was at Rentonhall Brickworks, Morham, East Lothian, (learning the trade ? ) About 1859 he was at Forgandenny Brick & Tileworks as a tenant. By 1869 he was back in Linlithgow, and Winchburgh Brick and Tile works had begun. With 2 of his sons in the business, Winchburgh Brickworks continued beyond Alexander’s death in 1892.

Below – 09/08/1810 – Caledonian Mercury  – Lands in East Lothian to be sold – The lands of Glasscoats and Rentonhall lying in the Parish of Moreham and county of Haddington.

… The lands contain both coal and lime and a very fine white freestone and an abundance of excellent brick clay; so that, besides possessing great means of improvement within themselves, their vicinity to the town of Haddington and the constantly increasing demand for freestone and bricks there, will form a valuable addition to the yearly return from the property …

1840 – 1850s – Owned by Kenneth McKenzie.

Below – 1853 – Rentonhall Tileworks, Haddington and abandoned before 1893?

Below – Long narrow brick with frog found on-site measuring 14″ x 4 1/2″ x 3″

Below  – The following photographs of Rentonhall Tileworks and bricks and tiles found on site were taken by Ian Suddaby in March 2017.

 . 

.

 .

.

 .

.

 . 

.

 

Similar articles