Many thanks to Chris Hawksworth for the following information. I am not in possession of this example. This white enamelled fire clay sink was rescued from a lab at Glasgow University when it was thrown out during a refurbishment. It is stamped Steele Bros with additional hand-scribed marks which may say 16.2.77 (Date of manufacture…
1874 – Established? – Kenneth Sanderson states The Niddrie Coal Company Ltd was incorporated in 1874 to work the Edge Coalfields of Niddrie, Edmonstone and Woolmet. The capital was 31,000, £10 shares of which 25% were owned by George Simpson of Benhar. A brickworks making fire bricks for the Edinburgh market was established about this time. The company merged with the Benhar Coal Company Limited and the Niddrie and Benhar Coal Co Ltd was formed in 1882.
09/11/1898 – Edinburgh Evening News – Working foreman wanted for new fireclay works, experienced in white enamelled bricks, sinks, baths, and sanitary ware and in making and burning all kinds of fireclay goods. State salary expected, testimonials. Strictly confidential. Apply foreman, care of Ferguson & Co, Niddrie, Portobello.
21/05/1901 – Edinburgh Evening News – Fireclay worker and two handymen wanted. Apply foreman, Fergusons Fireclay Works, Niddrie, Portobello.
Below – 1906 – Niddrie Fire Clay Works.
1923 – 1924 – Steele Brothers & Sons, Fire Clay Manufacturers, Niddrie Edinburgh.
Below – 1934 – Niddrie Fire Clay and Niddrie Brickworks.
05/10/1934 – The Scotsman – Reference to employees of the Steele Brothers and Sons Ltd, Fireclay Enamelling Works, Niddrie, Portobello donating £5 to the Gresford Pit, Welsh mine disaster fund.
Below – 15/02/1935 – The Scotsman – Steele Brothers & Sons Ltd and Henry Steele, Niddrie Fireclay Works sue the Niddrie and Benhar Coal Company for damage to their kilns which they claim was because of subsidence caused by their mining activities. This was thrown out by the court.
09/10/1937 – Bailie H Steele, Steele Bros & Sons Ltd, Niddrie Fire Clay Works, Portobello £100 contribution towards the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary extension appeal.
12/10/1937 – Berwickshire News – Thomas Waugh Reid, Niddrie Fire Clay Works, Portobello pled guilty to not keeping current records. He was driving a vehicle operating under a C licence. On examination of his records for 15th July, it was found the last entry was for 8 am the previous day. There was nothing about the load, journeys or rest periods. Fined 10s or 10 days.
Below – 1944 – 1967 – Niddrie Fireclay Works.
1947 – The Company was taken over by the National Coal Board.
Below – April 1963 – Irish Plumber and Heating Contractor.
Below – 03/03/1969 – Glasgow Herald – Niddrie Brickworks manager required advert.
1990 – The works were at this time (and earlier) owned by The Glasgow Iron and Steel Company Limited. – GISCOL.