14/07/1923 – Glasgow Herald – Man was not long on the world’s stage when he commenced to work clay and impress on its plastic surface his primitive ideas. A common clay brick, even to the initiated tells its story and forms an important clue in the history of man. In Scotland, the earliest bricks made…
29/04/1865 – Glasgow Herald – Maryhill Cattle Show – B. W Dodds, Claythorn Brick and Tile Works, Partick exhibited samples of bricks and drain tile pipes which were commended.
23/11/1866 – Edinburgh Gazette – The Estates of Benjamin William Dods, presently residing at Partick, in the County of Lanark, formerly brick and tile manufacturer at Claythorne, in the Parish of Govan, and County of Lanark, one of the individual partners of the firm of B. W. Dods, brick and tile manufacturers then, as such partner, and as an individual, were sequestrated on the 22d day of November 1866, by the Sheriff of the County of Lanark. The first deliverance is dated the 22d day of November 1866. The meeting to elect the trustee and commissioners is to be held at 11 o’clock forenoon, on Tuesday the 4th day of December 1866, within the hall of the faculty of procurators of Glasgow, Saint George’s Place, Glasgow. A composition may be offered at this meeting; and to entitle creditors to the first dividend, their oaths and grounds of debt must be lodged on or before the 22d day of March 1867. All future advertisements relating to this sequestration published in the Edinburgh Gazette alone. W. P. Allardice Agent, 160, West George Street, Glasgow.
15/12/1866 – Glasgow Evening Citizen – Examinations – Benjamin William Dods, presently residing at Patrick, in the County of Lanark, formerly brick and tile manufacturer at Claythorne in the Parish of Govan and one of the individual partners of the firm of B.W Dods, brick and tile manufacturers there, as such partner and as an individual to be examined by Sheriff Alison …
Below – 26/12/1866 – North British Agriculturist – Wood-End and Skaterigg Brick and Tile Works and Claythorne Brick, Tile and Pipe Works. Glasgow, Crow Road, Partick 1866. Messrs Dods and Co having relinquished business and disposed of the former of these works on the 26th day of April last and Mr R. W. Dods having retired from the latter and since the 23rd of the same month ceased to have any connection whatever therewith, it is hereby intimated that the two works have been united under the sole agency and management of Mr Thomas Leslie. They thus constitute one of the most extensive brick and tile works in the West of Scotland and being situated close to the River Clyde and Harbour of Glasgow and in the immediate proximity to Temple Lock on the Bowling Canal and to a siding of the North British Railway, they possess unequalled facilities for shipment in every direction. An abundant stock of brick, tiles and drain pipes of all sizes is constantly kept and careful and prompt attention is paid to all orders. It is requested that communications be addressed to Mr Leslie, Wood-End and Skaterigg Works, Crow Road Partick who will be glad to supply price lists and any desired attention. N.B – Orders for fire clay goods attended to. It is in contemplation to establish a common clay pottery in connection with these works in the ensuing spring.
Below – 1867 – Advert – Thomas Leslie, Director and sole agent.
18/03/1868 – Edinburgh Evening Courant – Application for discharge – Benjamin William Dods sometimes residing at Partick, County of Lanark, now residing in Bath? Street, Glasgow, formerly brick and tile manufacturer at Claythorne, county of Lanark, one of the individual partners of the firm B. W. Dods, brick and tile manufacturers there.
30/04/1868 – Perthshire Advertiser – Sequestrations – Andrew Drummond Foulds, brick, pipe and tile manufacturer, Woodend, Claythorne and Skatterigg, Crow Road, Partick. Creditors to meet in Faculty Hall, Glasgow 1st May at 12 o’clock.
29/09/1968 – Edinburgh Gazette – Sequestration of Benjamin William Dods residing at Partick, in the Parish of Govan, and County of Lanark, formerly brick and tile manufacturer at Claythorne, in the Parish of Govan, and County of Lanark, one of the individual partners of the firm of B. W. Dods, Brick and Tile Manufacturer there. James Anderson, Accountant in Glasgow, the trustee, hereby calls a general meeting of the creditors to be held within his office, 57, West Nile Street, Glasgow, on Tuesday the 27th day of October next, at 12 o’clock noon, to consider as to an application to be made by the trustee for his discharge. James Anderson, C.A., Trustee. Glasgow, September 26, 1868.
1869 – 1870 – Gilchrist & Goldie, brick and drain pipe makers, Woodend and Claythorn, Crow Road, Partick and Sandyacres, Langside Road, Glasgow. Orders and letters addressed to Crow Road, Partick, Glasgow.
1873 – 1874 – Gilchrist and Goldie, Brick and Tile Makers, Crow Road, Partick.
14/03/1873 – Glasgow Herald – On Wednesday 26th March at the Claythorne Brick and Tile Works, Crow Road, Partick. Sale of tilemakers plant, buildings, wood, rails etc in consequence of the expiry of the lease. Gilchrist and Goldie.
26/02/1894 – Glasgow Herald – Letters to the editor. Over sanitation. Beaconsfield, Kelvinside, February 24, 1894. Sir – I do not know what may be the experience of the proprietors of other estates in the suburbs of Glasgow that have been included within the extended boundaries of the city by the Act of 1891, but our experience on Kelvinside has been that we have had just rather too much of a good thing in the way of sanitation. There is a succession of petty interferences, and in the case of one of our cottages at Claythorn near the Crow Road, we got so many notices to do this, that, and the other thing, that after consultation with Mr Potts our surveyor, I found it would, in the end, be cheaper to build a new cottage. This cottage, which was practically condemned by the sanitary authorities, was built in the year 1868 by Messrs Gilchrist & Goldie, then our tenants in the Claythorn Brickfield. We purchased it from them at the end of their lease in 1873, and from that day I know personally that there never was a case of enteric or infectious disease in the cottage …