Brickworks, Henderson Row, Portobello

Brickworks, Henderson Row, Portobello. (Note – SBH – Henderson Row was situated on the southeastern boundary of the Abercorn Brick and Tile Works.

Annals of Duddingston and Portobello – 1898  – Another old brickwork existed at the same time on the site now occupied by Henderson Row, but concerning it, we have little authentic information, except that it was owned by Messrs R and R Dickson, sons of John Dickson, the contractor for the erection of the High School, Edinburgh. They made some changes in the locality, converting Mr W. Jameson’s “elegant mansion ” into a place little better than a brick shed, and built the range of houses in front of it on the High Street.

13/12/1828 – Edinburgh Evening Courant – Sequestrations. R and R Dickson, carrying on business, as a company in Edinburgh and Portobello, as architects, builders, and brick-manufacturers, and Richard and Robert Dickson, the partners, as individuals. Creditors meet in the Royal Exchange Coffeehouse, 19th December and 2d January, at 1.

15/11/1832 – Edinburgh Evening Courant – Sequestrations. Creditors of R and R Dickson, carrying on business, as a company in Edinburgh and Portobello, as architects, builders, and brick-manufacturers will receive a dividend from the trustee, Albany Street, Edinburgh. 14th December.

Tagged with: ,

Similar articles