This example is in the possession of the National Museum, Scotland. Note the small lug above the ‘C’. The rear has an unusual square-ended frog with a middle bar. Scottish Brick Corporation. Following nationalisation of the coal industry in 1947, the National Coal Board (NCB) inherited a number of brickworks. Around 1969, saw the NCB…
Keir & Cawder, Bishopbriggs Works, Glasgow.
Alternative brickworks include:
- Blackhill Works, Glasgow.
- Holytown Works, Glasgow.
- Summerston Works, Glasgow.
- Cadder Works, Glasgow.
04/01/1932 – The Scotsman – The heavy rains were responsible for serious flooding at Wester Springfield, Bishopbriggs … Bishopbriggs Brickworks at Moss Cottages was also flooded, the water rising to a depth of 12 inches, both in the mixing house and the brickmaking shed …
14/08/1934 – Kirkintilloch Herald – A new brickwork – Preparations for the opening of a large new brickwork have commenced at Bishopbriggs. A start has been made with the building of the chimney stalk and also a 24 chamber kiln, each chamber capable of holding 10,000 bricks. Machinery of the latest type suitable for dealing with a large output is also to be installed. A lease of the ground has been secured by Messers The Cadder Brick Co Ltd, 250 Alexandra parade, Glasgow from Messers Keir and Cawder Ltd, Bishopbriggs, the proprietors of the Cadder Estate. The new brickfield is situated on ground adjoining No 15 pit, a former colliery now closed and worked by Messrs Carron Coy, Falkirk. There is a large blaes bing at No 15 pit and also 2 other blaes bings at 2 old disused collieries nearby, which ensures a plentiful supply of material for many years. The opening of the brickfield will give work to a number of men in the district, who have suffered much unemployment since the closing down of the collieries in the vicinity.
18/11/1936 – Kirkintilloch Herald – Brickworks transport. To facilitate importation of the necessary material and also the export of bricks, Messrs Keir and Cawder Ltd, Bishopbriggs, have overhauled and relaid the old colliery railway formerly owned by the Carron Company which runs from Cadder yard off the L and NE Railway near Lenzie, to their brickfield at Cadder Moss, Bishopbriggs, a distance about two miles. The demand for bricks has necessitated this step, and the railway will be used in addition to the present motor transport.
1936 – 1937 – Keir and Cawder, Ltd. (Composition bricks), 12 Waterloo street Glasgow C.2; Tel. No., Central.
1969 – c.1980 – The 1985 publication ‘A survey of Scottish brickmarks’ suggests the Scottish Brick Corporation were owners.