Found by Chris Graham on the Solway Firth, Dumfries and Galloway. I am not in possession of this example. Manufacturer believed to be or at least the brickmark is believed to be F R & C H Luke & Co, Slate Quarry owners & general factors for building materials, Head Office – 122 George Street,…
A directory entry refers to Summerlee and Mossend Iron and Steel Co., Prestonpans – in 1898 the Mossend part of the Company name was dropped.
Graces Guide – Summerlee and Mossend Iron and Steel Co.
Early 1880s: The Summerlee and Mossend works amalgamated, presumably as Summerlee and Mossend Iron and Steel Co. After this Walter Neilson ( -1896), William Neilson (1810-1882)‘s second son, left to carry on business on his own account
1887 – A new blast furnace was blown in.
1895 – The Summerlee Iron and Steel Company took over the Prestongrange Brick, Tile and Fireclay Works.
1895 – Strike at the Prestongrange mine which had recently been acquired.
1896 – Summerlee Iron co, Coal Masters , Roughrigg, Lanarkshire.
25/06/1896 – The Scotsman – Issue of preference share capital. The Summerlee and Mossend Iron and Steel Company Limited. There is at Prestongrange Colliery, belonging to the Company and brickwork and fire clay pipework which is valued at £4,500.
1896 – The company was registered on 23 June, as the Summerlee and Mossend Iron and Steel Co Ltd, to acquire the business of a firm carried on under the same title which had been in the hands of the Neilson family for 2 generations; the subscribers were John Neilson, of Mollance, ironmaster, William Neilson of Glasgow, ironmaster, George Neilson of Glasgow, Walter Neilson of Glasgow, James Neilson of Glasgow, J. A. Neilson of Glasgow, Alexander Neilson of Glasgow, Hugh Neilson of Glasgow.
1897 – Summerlee and Mossend Iron and Steel Company, Fire Brick Manufacturers, Preston Pans
1900 – Introduced electric coal cutting plant
1905 – William Beardmore and Co purchased the Mossend Steelworks from the Summerlee and Mossend Iron and Steel Co to secure supplies of ship plates and angles.
1906 – The name of the company was changed to Summerlee Iron Co
1936 – 1937 – Summerlee Iron Co. Ltd. 174 West George street Glasgow C.2