SBC

Comments Off on SBC 14

Found in the Ayrshire / Lanarkshire area by John (Ian) Jones, Ayrshire.

Scottish Brick Corporation

Following nationalisation of the coal industry in 1947, the National Coal Board (NCB) inherited a number of brickworks. Around 1969,  saw the NCB selling off its brickworks with the Scottish Brick Corporation (SBC) taking over most of them, some 33 sites in Scotland. The SBC then started using its own stamp on the bricks it produced, usually the initials SBC. There are various designs of stamp that differ in letter, frog and marks  and it is very possible that each site marked their bricks slightly differently in this way.

Note the ‘dashes’ to left and right and the chamfered corner to the top right of the frog.

Tagged with:

Similar articles