Photographed by Martin Sneddon in Kilwinning. Redstone Fire Clay Works Kilwinning. This is a salt glazed fireclay cattle trough. . . .
W MacIntyre Jun & Co Redstone Fire Clay Works Kilwinning.
Note the difference in spelling of Redston(e).
16/04/1859 – Paisley Herald – New fire clay Depot In Paisley.
08/02/1860 – Dumfries and Galloway – William McIntyre Junr & Co, Redstone fire clay works, Kilwinning.
1861 – William MacInytre & Co, Redstone Fire Clay Works, Kilwinning.
22/07/1862 – Caledonian Mercury –
Redstone Fire Clay Works, Kilwinning – The brickworks produced 4,000 tons a year of fire bricks, chimney cans, pipes and retort bricks in 1858, when it was managed by McIntyre & Grey. The exact site is unknown, but the area is covered with many coal pits which would have provided the fireclays as a by product. Source Kenneth Sanderson – The Scottish Refractory Industry 1830 – 1980.
Redstone colliery was located near Kenneth’s castle towards Bridgend and may well have been the site of the fire clay works.