Canmore (These work may have been connected in business with the Jenny Lind Composition Brickworks – Source – Survey of Scottish Brickmarks) 12/01/1889 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – Glasgow Western Infirmary. The secretary begs to acknowledge, with thanks, receipt of the following contribution from Carfin Coal Co, Carfin Colliery and Brickwork, Motherwell – £2…
Found at the old Coltness Ironworks site at Coatbridge.
Find location would suggest Scottish origins …No non Scottish bricks were found on site so I believe these bricks will be manufactured in Scotland and most likely at the Jenny Lind Composition Brickworks for reasons below.
These were found among building demolition and in substantial numbers. These ‘Pressed’ bricks were found in blocks of rubble cemented alongside bricks marked ‘Hyslop’ and ‘Jenny Lind’
The size of the ‘Pressed’ brick and lettering font was very similar to that of the ‘Hyslop’s and ‘Jenny Lind’s so there is a good chance they were manufacatured at either of these works.
The frog of the ‘Jenny Lind’ bricks is very similar too.
Below – Blocks of rubble containg bricks stamped ‘Pressed’ and ‘Jenny Lind’
Below – ‘Jenny Lind’ and ‘Hyslop’ marks for comparison.
Found in the West Lothian area by Arnie Faichney. Airdrie House Brickworks, Airdrie, Lanarkshire. Alternative brickworks include: Kipps, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire. . .
The Barracks, Stirling aka Armament Depot aka Railway Company Stores. Canmore Rectangular stone built two storey building, slated roof. End and central bays advanced, central bay with topped with ball finials. Loading doors in upper storey. Referred to locally as the French Barracks. Forthside estate was sold to the British Army in 1864, upon the…
Canmore Source 1981 – Jenny Lind Brickworks, also known as Carfin Colliery Brickworks, A Jeffrey and Co. Ltd This works made common bricks which were marked JENNY LIND, by the early to mid 1960s, the making of bricks had stopped and the site became A Jeffrey and Co. Ltd producers of ‘Synthetic Moulding Sands, Crushed…
Is this company connected to the Airdrie Brick Company? Airdrie House Brickworks, Airdrie, Lanarkshire AKA Mosside Brickworks or was this a seperate site? Airdrie House (now Monklands General Hospital) Most of The Moss and the area around Whinhall belonged to the Airdrie House Estate until the beginning of this century. The estate was owned and…
Found by Eddie McLean in Glasgow. Unidentified maker. Find location would suggest Scottish origins but….. . . .
Found in Wishaw among piles of rubble used to back fill a pond. All the bricks surrounding it were Scottish. The maker is unidentified. The find location would suggest Scottish origins but…. . . Below – The same stamp thin, 2 3/4″ deep example found at The Barracks, Stirling. This example was possibly made at…
Coats Brick Work, Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire The name Brand crops up twice in “A Survey of Scottish Brickmarks” with the first instance being Robert Brand proprietor/owner of Garturk Brickworks and the other, James, Janet and Robert Brand, also proprietors/owners, of Rochsolloch Brickworks. 25/11/1856 – Edinburgh Gazette – Bathgate, Airdrie and Coatbridge Railway – A Branch Railway diverging…
Found in fly-tipping at Newmains, Morningside, North Lanarkshire Jenny Lind Composition Brickworks, Carfin, Lanarkshire. . . . .
Found Garliston Works, Glenboig. Airdrie House Brickworks, Airdrie, Lanarkshire. Alternative brickworks include: Kipps, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire. . .