Portland Colliery Brickworks, Crookedholm, Hurlford, Kilmarnock

Portland Colliery Brickworks, Crookedholm, Hurlford, Kilmarnock. Portland Ironworks owned the brickworks which lay on the other side of the Irvine River, on the site of Portland Colliery No 4 pit. The Ironworks started in 1846 and worked intermittently until taken over by the Eglinton Iron Company in 1864. Five blast furnaces worked until 1890. The Brickworks continued to make bricks until after 1900. Source Kenneth W Sanderson.

Below  – 1895 – Portland Brickworks.

1895 Portland brick works

Below  – Portland Colliery toll token – source

Portland token

Similar articles