Milton Ironworks, 142 North Woodside Road, Glasgow

Found by Michael Fallone at Milton Ironworks during demolition.

This works was founded in about 1856 by McDowall & Co, iron-founders. This firm developed a very extensive business in architectural castings, and the works eventually covered an large area.

This works made many pillar boxes for the Post Office, and also telephone boxes. The firm, by then McDowall, Steven & Co Ltd, had a London office in 1901. By 1968 the buildings were in multiple occupation, and part of the complex was demolished in that year.

Canmore

J & M Craig, Perceton Fireclay Works, Dreghorn, Ayrshire.

Similar articles