Found by Bob Banks in the Dunfermline area. This example is not in my possession. The ‘D’ is stamped in reverse to the main stamp. Lochside Works, Townhill, Dunfermline, Fife. . .
15/03/1953 – The British Clayworker – Lochgelly Asks National Coal Board for More Bricks – Lochgelly Town Council last month heard of discussion between its housing officer and the National Coal Board on the subject of extra brick supplies for local housing.
Supplies were stated to be inadequate for the staff of seven bricklayers. Approximately 250,000 bricks would be required to complete the scheme, and 30,000 were needed every week to keep the men employed.
The buildings’ convener Bailie Campbell, said he had met the NCB Housing Manager, Mr Boyd, and he has told him he would take the matter up with the Pit Consultative Committee as the Council was indirectly responsible for housing NCB tenants.
Mr Boyd had given the assurance that every effort would be made to supply from 17,000 to 20,000 bricks per week, but he had been quite frank in stating that he did not think it possible to step this up to 30,000. Other firms had been getting bricks every week for years before the Council came on the scene, and they could not let them down.
31/10/1953 – Fife Free Press – Shoddy brick complaint at Lochgelly.
Minto Colliery – History – One of the most famous collieries in the history of Lochgelly mining was the Minto, on the road to Cardenden.
It is featured in the Times of 30th January in the latest chapter in the history of Lochgelly mining given to us by mining history guru Chris Sparling.
The Minto shafts and its bings were located in the fields close to Brigghills Farm, at the foot of the Eliza Brae, off the main Lochgelly-Bowhill road and close to the River Ore and the railway line.
Known locally also as ‘Brigghills Pit’ it began sinking in 1901. The Lochgelly Iron & Coal Company’s old Eliza Pit was utilised as an emergency shaft.
In 1904, within a newspaper report on the Fife coalfield, the Minto pits were referred to as the “United Pits”, and, in 1941, an article on an underground fire described them as the ‘Round’ and ‘Square’ pits.
Lord Minto had an important Fife connection through his estate of Lochgelly, which embraced the whole of the Lochgelly coalfield, yielding around 1914, in mineral royalties alone, £20,000 a year.
The Lochgelly estate came to the Elliot family early in the 17th century through the marriage of Sir Gilbert Elliot with the heiress, Agnes Murray Kinninmonth, of that ilk, and of Melgund, in Forfarshire, an estate still retained by the family.