The following photograph was taken by Andy Arthur in the gents loos, Bow Bar, West Bow, Edinburgh. The mark is stamped on a cistern. Steele Bros & Sons Ltd, Niddrie Fire Clay Works, Portobello. . . . .
Crown Fire Clay Works, Glasgow
(1872 – 1873 – Thomas Brownlie of Heatheryknowe Coal Co – House – 1 Carlton Terrace, North Woodside, Glasgow) ( Heatheryknowe Coal Co., coal masters & manufacturers of fireclay goods, 182 Hope St. ; depot, St Rollox)(Note – SBH – Could this be a family connection?)
1890-91 – P.S Brownlie & Co, Crown Fireclay Works, East Nelson Street, Glasgow. TA – Corona, Glasgow
1891 – 92 – Brownlie, P. S. & Co., manufacturers of enamelled bricks, wash tubs, sinks, &c, Crown Fire-clay Works, East Nelson street. Brownlie, P. S., & Co., fire-clay manufacturers, Crown Fire-clay Works, East Nelson street.
Brownlie, P. S., 1 Carlton Terrace. Crown Fireclay Works, Millerston Street and Gallowgate, Glasgow
Below – 1892-1893 – Crown Fireclay Works
Bekow – 20/03/1893 – Edinburgh Evening News – The Dangerous Naphtha lamp at PS.Brownlie & Co Crown Fireclay Works. 14 year old boy burned.
1895 – 1896 – Brownlie, P. S. & Co. Crown Fireclay Wks. East Nelson Street
1900 – 1901 – P.S Brownlie & Co, Makers of enamelled sinks, wash tubs and all descriptions of sanitary ware. Registered trade mark – Kentigern’ – 20 East Nelson Street. TA Corona.
Note – Saint Kentigern was another name for St Mungo who was the patron Saint of Glasgow.
1906 – 1907 – Brownlie, P S., & Co., Crown Fire-clay Works, East Nelson st. Tel./Add. ” Corona, Glasgow.”
01/06/1907 – Falkirk Herald – Liberal organiser for Stirlingshire ……Mr Shanks, the new orgainser, is 30 years of age and for the past 15 years has been in the employment of Messrs P.S. Brownlie and Co, Crown Fireclay Works, East Nelson Street, Glasgow. He is only severing his connection with the firm becuase it is giving up business…….
Below – 1910 – Crown Fireclay Works
Below – 09/04/1914 – The Scotsman – Radical candidate for Camlachie. The Executive of the Camlachie Liberal Association have unanimously agreed to the nomination of Councillor Robert Shanks as prospective candidate for Camlachie , and Mr Shankswill address a meeting of the association next week. Mr Shanks is a member of the firm of Messrs J . Steele & Shanks, Crown Fireclay Works, East Nelson Street and has been one of the representatives of the Whitevale Ward in the Town Council since 1911.
1915 – 1916 – Steele, J. & Shanks, manufacturers of porcelain enamelled fire-clay baths, urinals, hospital specialities, lavatory basins, water-closet basins, sinks, washtubs, etc, Crown Fire-clay Works, East Nelson street; tel. No. 2680 Bridgeton ; telg. “ Corona
1918 – 1919 – Steele, J. & Shanks, manufacturers of porcelain enamelled fire-clay baths, urinals, hospital specialities, lavatory basins, water-closet basins, sinks, washtubs, etc, Crown Fire-clay Works, East Nelson street; tel. No. 2680 Bridgeton ; telg. “ Corona.” (Note – SBH – Could Shanks be Shanks & Co, Barrhead ?)
1929 – 1930 – Steele, J., & Sons, Ltd., manufacturers of porcelain enamelled fire-clay baths, urinals, hospital specialties, lavatory basins, water-closet basins, sinks, washtubs, etc, Crown Fire-clay Works, 165, 177 Millerston street E.l ; tel. No. 2680 Bridgeton; tel. add., “Corona.” (Note – SBGH – Steele and Shanks appear to have gone their separate ways by 1929)
1934 – 1935 – John Steele & Sons, Ltd – manufacturers of porcelain enamelled fireclay baths, urinals, hospital specialities, lavatory basins, water closet basins, sink, washtubs etc. Crown Fireclay Works, 177 Millerston Street E1. TA Corona
1936 – 1937 – Steele, John, & Sons, Ltd., manufacturers of porcelain enamelled fire-clay baths, urinals, hospital specialties, lavatory basins, water-closet basins, sinks, washtubs, etc., Crown Fireclay
Works, 165, 177 Millerston street, E.l ; tel. Nos. 1160 and 1161 Bridgeton; tel. add., “Corona.”
Below – 1947 – Advert John Steele & Sons, Crown Fireclay Works, 165 Millerston Street, Glasgow
31/01/1931 – Dundee Courier – The Auchenheath Mining Co., Ltd., Crown Fireclay Works, 165 Millerston Street, Glasgow. Private company, to acquire lease of certain minerals in a portion of the lands Blackwood, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire, and carry on the business of coalmasters, colliery proprietors, fireclay manufacturers, &c. Capital, £1000 in £1 shares.
Below – 1933 – Crown Fireclay Works
Below – I believe the bricks below were manufactured at the Crown Fireclay Works.
(The Patrick connection is still to be ascertained / clarified)
This is the possible Patrick connection although it may be a little early with regards the dates – see first 3 entries below.
1840 – 1841 – Miller, Patrick & Alexander, manufacturing chemists and drysalters, 12 Croy Place. Chemical fire brick and grinding works, Port Dundas
1843 – 1844 – Miller, Patrick & Alexander, manufacturing chemists and drysalters, 12 Croy Place. Chemical fire brick and grinding works, Port Dundas
1838 – 1839 – Miller, Patrick and Alexander, manufacturing chemists and drysalters, 12 and 14 Croy place, chemical works Camlachie, fire-brick and grinding works Port-Dundas road
Item MS 500/53/50
Collection Date 1900 – 1981
Caption Glasgow, East Nelson Street, 6..
1 sheet – map extract with brief note. 1979.
2 sheets – notes (from daughter of John Steele, founder of the works), and references. (1981).
1 sheet – extract from ‘Scottish Potteries’: The Potteries in Glasgow, by J.A. Fleming, c.1923.
1 sheet – copy of a page from ‘Industries of Glasgow’.
re. ‘P.S. Brownlie & Co’, East Nelson Street.
3 b/w photographs copied from older prints:
B 10069/10a: formal group portrait showing a group of workers & a collection of products at Crown works. n/d, probably late 19th Century, (copied 1981).
Photocopy showing original print.
B 10069/16a and 17a:
2 prints copied from an original photograph of n/d,
showing two men working in front of the down draught kiln (on right).
P. S. Brownlie & Co., Manufacturers of Fire Bricks, Enamelled Bricks, Blocks, Covers, ftc., and Sanitary Ware, Crown Eire Clay Works, East Nelson Street.Â—
It is difficult to find in the annals of commercial enterprise a parallel instance to tbe success which has attended the operations of the well-known firm of Messrs. P. S. Brownlie & Co., manufacturers of fire bricks, enamelled bricks, and sanitary ware. The Crown Fire Clay Works, situated in-East Nelson Street, cover an area of fully an acre of ground, and contain large and commodious buildings in which the various processes of the manufacture are conducted, with the machinery of the most improved construction.
This firm, in fact, were the first to introduce the manufacture of these goods by machinery into Scotland. By their process a great saving of labour is effected and much more compact and durable articles produced. Of fire bricks the firm manufacture three classes, those for furnaces (steel, copper, gas, glass, chemical, pottery, &c.) are by their process of manufacture perfectly true in make, shape, and size ; they do not crack or break off, but wear and melt slowly on the exposed surface, and being of most refractory character withstand intense heats or sudden changes in temperature. Shipping bricks, pressed or unpressed, weigh from 5 to 8 cwt. ; lighter, per 1,000 than the ordinary, to meet the demands of the export market. Building or facing bricks are made from selected clays and pressed by steam power, and are much superior in shape, size, and colour to the ordinary pressed fire-brick. They also manufacture white and coloured enamelled, bricks, sinks, wash-tubs, &c., &c., which for make and finish compare favourably with any in the market.
Attached to the works is a spacious suite of well-appointed offices and counting-house, together with all the accessories of a large and thoroughly organised establishment. In every department the business is conducted with marked ability and enterprise. The firm send out several energetic travellers, covering the whole of England, Scotland, and Ireland, and are well represented in the foreign and colonial markets. Mr. Brownlie, who is the sole proprietor, is a gentleman occupying a high position in mercantile circles, and exercises in the management of his business that well-directed energy and sound judgment which have always been so eminently characteristic of his mercantile transactions.