Crown Fire Clay Works, East Nelson Street, Gallowgate, Glasgow

Crown Fire Clay Works, East Nelson Street, Gallowgate, Glasgow.

(1872 – 1873 – Thomas Brownlie of Heatheryknowe Coal Co – House, 1 Carlton Terrace, North Woodside, Glasgow) (Heatheryknowe Coal Co., coal masters & manufacturers of fireclay goods, 182 Hope St.; depot, St Rollox). (Note – SBH – Could this be a Brownlie family connection?).

1880 – Glasgowwestaddress – 13 Athole Gardens, Kelvinside. A P Sheriff (of P. S. Brownlie & Co., manufacturers of enamelled fire-clay wash tubs, sinks, sanitary ware, &c, Crown Fire-clay Works, East Nelson Street)

1890 – 1891 – P. S. Brownlie & Co, Crown Fireclay Works, East Nelson Street, Glasgow. TA – Corona, Glasgow.

1891 – 92 – P. S. Brownlie & Co, manufacturers of enamelled bricks, washtubs, sinks, &c, Crown Fire-clay Works, East Nelson Street. P. S. Brownlie & Co, fire-clay manufacturers, Crown Fire-clay Works, East Nelson street.

P. S. Brownlie, 1 Carlton Terrace.  Crown Fireclay Works, Millerston Street and Gallowgate, Glasgow.

Below – 1892 – 1893 – Crown Fireclay Works.

OS Map 1892-3 Crown Fireclay Works

1892 – 1907 – Archives Hub – Robert Shanks was born in 1870 in Bridgeton, Glasgow to John Shanks, master slater, and Margaret Cross Shanks (nee McMillan). He was brought up in the East End of the city, where he was to live and work for the rest of his life. From 1892-1907, Shanks was employed as a clerk and traveller for Messrs. P.S. Brownlie & Co., Crown Fire Clay Works, East Nelson Street, Glasgow. He subsequently became a partner in the firm of Messrs. J. Steele and Shanks, fire-clay manufacturers.

20/03/1893 – Edinburgh Evening News – The Dangerous Naphtha lamp. In the Second Division of the Court of Session today, the Lord Justice-Clerk and a jury sat to try an action by Wm. McCabe, 14 years of age, residing 71 Soho Street, Glasgow, against P. S. Brownlie & Co., Crown Fireclay Works, East Nelson Street, Glasgow. On 6th May last pursuer was in the employment of the defenders. He was sent into a furnace which had been out of use for two days to clean out the flue and while he was at work the naphtha in the lamp with which he had been furnished caught fire and he was severely burned. He sued in this action for £300 at common law, or £62 under the Employers’ Liability Act, and maintained that he ought to have been supplied with a candle or a safety lamp for such work. Defenders said that pursuer himself selected the lamp with which was to work, and they believe that he, by bis carelessness upset the lamp.

1895 – 1896 – P.S Brownlie & Co. Crown Fireclay Wks. East Nelson Street.

10/09/1895 – Glasgow Herald – Wanted. Foreman enameller. Must be thoroughly experienced. Apply by letter, stating wages and full particulars. Crown Fireclay Works, Glasgow.

1897 – 1898 – A. P Sheriff (of P S Brownlie &  Co) 13 Athole Gardens, Glasgow.

1897 – 1898 – David Boyle (of P S Brownlie &  Co) 13 Seyton Avenue, Langside, Glasgow.

1900 – 1901 – P. S Brownlie & Co, makers of enamelled sinks, washtubs and all descriptions of sanitary ware. Registered trademark – ‘Kentigern’ – 20 East Nelson Street. TA Corona.

(Note – SBH – Saint Kentigern was another name for St Mungo who was the patron Saint of Glasgow).

1901 – 1902 – P. S Brownlie & Co manufacturers of enamelled fire clay washtubs, sinks, sanitary ware &c. Crown Fire-clay Works, East Nelson Street. Telegraphic address ‘Corona’. Telphone No 2680.

1906 – 1907 – P. S Brownlie & Co, Crown Fireclay Works, East Nelson St. Tel./Add. ” Corona, Glasgow.”

1907 – P & S Brownlie, fire brick makers and manufacturers of fire clay goods, East Nelson Street, Gallowgate, Glasgow.

01/06/1907 – Falkirk Herald – Liberal organiser for Stirlingshire … Mr Shanks, the new organiser, is 30 years of age and for the past 15 years has been in the employment of Messrs P.S. Brownlie and Co, Crown Fireclay Works, East Nelson Street, Glasgow. He is only severing his connection with the firm because it is giving up business …

Below – 1910 – Crown Fireclay Works.

OS Map 1910 Crown Fireclay Works

1910 – 1911 – John Steele & Shanks, manufacturers of porcelain enamelled fire-clay baths, urinals, hospital specialities, lavatory basins, water-closet basins, scullery sinks, wash-tubs, and every description of enamelled fire-clay sanitary ware, Crown Fire-clay Works, East Nelson Street; Nat. Tele. No. 2680

Below – 09/04/1914 – The Scotsman – Radical candidate for Camlachie. The Executive of the Camlachie Liberal Association have unanimously agreed to the nomination of Councillor Robert Shanks as a prospective candidate for Camlachie, and Mr Shanks will address a meeting of the association next week. Mr Shanks is a member of the firm of Messrs J Steele & Shanks, Crown Fireclay Works, East Nelson Street and has been one of the representatives of the Whitevale Ward in the Town Council since 1911.

1915 – 1916 – J Steele & Shanks, manufacturers of porcelain enamelled fire-clay baths, urinals, hospital specialities, lavatory basins, water-closet basins, sinks, washtubs, etc, Crown Fire-clay Works, East Nelson Street; Tel. No. 2680 Bridgeton; Telg. “ Corona.

1918 – 1919 – J Steele & Shanks, manufacturers of porcelain enamelled fire-clay baths, urinals, hospital specialities, lavatory basins, water-closet basins, sinks, washtubs, etc, Crown Fire-clay Works, East Nelson Street; Tel. No. 2680 Bridgeton; Telg. “ Corona”

1929 – 1930 – J Steele & Sons, Ltd., manufacturers of porcelain enamelled fire-clay baths, urinals, hospital specialities, lavatory basins, water-closet basins, sinks, washtubs, etc, Crown Fire-clay Works, 165, 177 Millerston Street; Tel. No. 2680 Bridgeton; Tel. add., “Corona.” (Note – SBH – Steele and Shanks appear to have gone their separate ways by 1929).

06/02/1931 – Wishaw Press – New Scottish Companies. The Auchenheath Mining Co., Ltd., Crown Fireclay Works, 165 Millerston Street, Glasgow. Private company, to acquire the lease of certain minerals a portion of the lands Blackwood, Lanarkshire, and s, &c. Capital, £1000 in shares. Subscribers – John Loudon, fire clay manufacturer, Dunara, Newmains, Lanarkshire; John Steele, fireclay manufacturer, South Park, Hamilton Road, Glasgow and Harry Steele, fireclay manufacturer, Ormelia, Joppa, Edinburgh.

31/01/1931 – Dundee Courier – New Scottish Company. The Auchenheath Mining Co., Ltd., Crown Fireclay Works, 165 Millerston Street, Glasgow. A private company, to acquire the lease of certain minerals in a portion of the lands Blackwood, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire, and carry on the business of coalmasters, colliery proprietors, fireclay manufacturers, &c. Capital, £1000 in £1 shares.

Below – 1933 – Crown Fireclay Works.

1934 – 1935 – John Steele & Sons, Ltd – manufacturers of porcelain enamelled fireclay baths, urinals, hospital specialities, lavatory basins, water closet basins, sink, washtubs etc. Crown Fireclay Works, 177 Millerston Street.  TA Corona.

1936 – 1937 – John Steele & Sons, Ltd., manufacturers of porcelain enamelled fire-clay baths, urinals, hospital specialities, lavatory basins, water-closet basins, sinks, washtubs, etc., Crown Fireclay Works, 165, 177 Millerston Street; Tel. Nos. 1160 and 1161 Bridgeton; Tel. add., “Corona”.

1938 – List of Scottish mines. Auchenheath Mining Co. Ltd., Crown Fireclay Works, 165, Millerstone St, Glasgow. 23 men working below ground and 6 above.

27/12/1939 – Daily Record – Jocks Box subscription … Collection John Steele and Sons Ltd, Crown Fireclay Works, 165 Millerston Street (9th donation) – £1 5s 6d.

Below – 1940 – Auchenheath Mine.

Below – 1947 – Advert John Steele & Sons, Crown Fireclay Works, 165 Millerston Street, Glasgow.

1947 Advert John Steele & Sons, Crown Fireclay Works, 165 Millerston Street, Glasgow

24/01/1950 – The Scotsman – Article on pottery workers health … Members of the British Stoneware Manufacturers  Association include A . W . Buchan & Co Ltd, Portobello, and Govancroft Pottery Co  Ltd, Tollcross, Glasgow. The National Federation of Clay Industries membership includes Chas. Buick & Sons, Ltd, Alloa; Shanks & Co Ltd, Barrhead; Steele Bros & Sons Ltd, Edinburgh; John Steele & Sons Ltd,  Glasgow and the following Kilmarnock firms; Bourtreehill Coal Co Ltd;  J. & R. Howie Ltd, and Southhook Potteries.

**********

Below – This is the possible Patrick connection although it may be a little early with regards to the dates – see first 3 entries below.

1840 – 1841 – Miller, Patrick & Alexander, manufacturing chemists and drysalters, 12 Croy Place. Chemical fire brick and grinding works, Port Dundas.

1843 – 1844 – Miller, Patrick & Alexander, manufacturing chemists and drysalters, 12 Croy Place. Chemical fire brick and grinding works, Port Dundas.

1838 – 1839 – Miller, Patrick and Alexander, manufacturing chemists and drysalters, 12 and 14 Croy place, chemical works Camlachie, fire-brick and grinding works Port-Dundas Road.

Below – The following bricks are all thought to have been manufactured at the Crown Fireclay Works.

Patrick & Brownlie Crown Brand

.

.

.

.

.

.

Canmore

P. S. Brownlie & Co., Manufacturers of Fire Bricks, Enamelled Bricks, Blocks, Covers, etc., and Sanitary Ware, Crown Eire Clay Works, East Nelson Street.

It is difficult to find in the annals of commercial enterprise a parallel instance to the success which has attended the operations of the well-known firm of Messrs. P. S. Brownlie & Co., manufacturers of fire bricks, enamelled bricks, and sanitary ware. The Crown Fire Clay Works, situated in-East Nelson Street, cover an area of fully an acre of ground, and contain large and commodious buildings in which the various processes of the manufacture are conducted, with the machinery of the most improved construction.

This firm, in fact, were the first to introduce the manufacture of these goods by machinery into Scotland. By their process, a great saving of labour is affected and much more compact and durable articles produced. Of fire bricks the firm manufacture three classes, those for furnaces (steel, copper, gas, glass, chemical, pottery, &c.) are by their process of manufacture perfectly true in make, shape, and size; they do not crack or break off but wear and melt slowly on the exposed surface, and being of most refractory character withstand intense heats or sudden changes in temperature. Shipping bricks, pressed or unpressed, weigh from 5 to 8 cwt. ; lighter, per 1,000 than the ordinary, to meet the demands of the export market. The building or facing bricks are made from selected clays and pressed by steam power, and are much superior in shape, size, and colour to the ordinary pressed fire-brick. They also manufacture white and coloured enamelled, bricks, sinks, wash-tubs, &c., &c., which for the make and finish compares favourably with any in the market.

Attached to the works is a spacious suite of well-appointed offices and counting-house, together with all the accessories of a large and thoroughly organised establishment. In every department, the business is conducted with marked ability and enterprise. The firm sends out several energetic travellers, covering the whole of England, Scotland, and Ireland, and are well represented in the foreign and colonial markets. Mr Brownlie, who is the sole proprietor, is a gentleman occupying a high position in mercantile circles, and exercises in the management of his business that well-directed energy and sound judgment which have always been so eminently characteristic of his mercantile transactions.

Brownlie_P_S_&_Co

 

Similar articles