Found during an archaeology dig, Ravenswood, North Queensland, Australia. Photograph by kind permission of Dave Parkhill. Ravenswood is a small mining town and locality in the Charters Towers Region, Queensland, Australia. After the discovery of gold in 1868 through to the early 1900s, the township flourished and grew to nearly 5000 residents and boasted 48 hotels. Several…
Crown Fire Clay Works, Glasgow.
(1872 – 1873 – Thomas Brownlie of Heatheryknowe Coal Co – House – 1 Carlton Terrace, North Woodside, Glasgow) (Heatheryknowe Coal Co., coal masters & manufacturers of fireclay goods, 182 Hope St. ; depot, St Rollox)(Note – SBH – Could this be a family connection?).
1890-91 – P.S Brownlie & Co, Crown Fireclay Works, East Nelson Street, Glasgow. TA – Corona, Glasgow.
1891 – 92 – P.S Brownlie & Co, manufacturers of enamelled bricks, washtubs, sinks, &c, Crown Fire-clay Works, East Nelson street. Brownlie, P. S., & Co., fire-clay manufacturers, Crown Fire-clay Works, East Nelson street.
Brownlie, P. S., 1 Carlton Terrace. Crown Fireclay Works, Millerston Street and Gallowgate, Glasgow.
Below – 1892-1893 – Crown Fireclay Works.
Below – 20/03/1893 – Edinburgh Evening News – The Dangerous Naphtha lamp at PS.Brownlie & Co Crown Fireclay Works. 14-year-old boy burned.
1895 – 1896 – Brownlie, P. S. & Co. Crown Fireclay Wks. East Nelson Street.
1900 – 1901 – P.S Brownlie & Co, Makers of enamelled sinks, washtubs and all descriptions of sanitary ware. Registered trademark – Kentigern’ – 20 East Nelson Street. TA Corona.
Note – Saint Kentigern was another name for St Mungo who was the patron Saint of Glasgow.
1906 – 1907 – Brownlie, P S., & Co., Crown Fire-clay Works, East Nelson st. Tel./Add. ” Corona, Glasgow.”
01/06/1907 – Falkirk Herald – Liberal organiser for Stirlingshire … Mr Shanks, the new organiser, is 30 years of age and for the past 15 years has been in the employment of Messrs P.S. Brownlie and Co, Crown Fireclay Works, East Nelson Street, Glasgow. He is only severing his connection with the firm because it is giving up business …
Below – 1910 – Crown Fireclay Works.
Below – 09/04/1914 – The Scotsman – Radical candidate for Camlachie. The Executive of the Camlachie Liberal Association have unanimously agreed to the nomination of Councillor Robert Shanks as a prospective candidate for Camlachie, and Mr Shanks will address a meeting of the association next week. Mr Shanks is a member of the firm of Messrs J . Steele & Shanks, Crown Fireclay Works, East Nelson Street and has been one of the representatives of the Whitevale Ward in the Town Council since 1911.
1915 – 1916 – Steele, J. & Shanks, manufacturers of porcelain enamelled fire-clay baths, urinals, hospital specialities, lavatory basins, water-closet basins, sinks, washtubs, etc, Crown Fire-clay Works, East Nelson street; tel. No. 2680 Bridgeton; telg. “ Corona.
1918 – 1919 – Steele, J. & Shanks, manufacturers of porcelain enamelled fire-clay baths, urinals, hospital specialities, lavatory basins, water-closet basins, sinks, washtubs, etc, Crown Fire-clay Works, East Nelson street; tel. No. 2680 Bridgeton; telg. “ Corona.” (Note – SBH – Could Shanks be Shanks & Co, Barrhead ?).
1929 – 1930 – Steele, J., & Sons, Ltd., manufacturers of porcelain enamelled fire-clay baths, urinals, hospital specialities, lavatory basins, water-closet basins, sinks, washtubs, etc, Crown Fire-clay Works, 165, 177 Millerston street E.l; tel. No. 2680 Bridgeton; tel. add., “Corona.” (Note – SBGH – Steele and Shanks appear to have gone their separate ways by 1929).
1934 – 1935 – John Steele & Sons, Ltd – manufacturers of porcelain enamelled fireclay baths, urinals, hospital specialities, lavatory basins, water closet basins, sink, washtubs etc. Crown Fireclay Works, 177 Millerston Street E1. TA Corona.
1936 – 1937 – Steele, John, & Sons, Ltd., manufacturers of porcelain enamelled fire-clay baths, urinals, hospital specialities, lavatory basins, water-closet basins, sinks, washtubs, etc., Crown Fireclay Works, 165, 177 Millerston street, E.l; tel. Nos. 1160 and 1161 Bridgeton; tel. add., “Corona.”
Below – 1947 – Advert John Steele & Sons, Crown Fireclay Works, 165 Millerston Street, Glasgow.
31/01/1931 – Dundee Courier – The Auchenheath Mining Co., Ltd., Crown Fireclay Works, 165 Millerston Street, Glasgow. Private company, to acquire the lease of certain minerals in a portion of the lands Blackwood, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire, and carry on the business of coalmasters, colliery proprietors, fireclay manufacturers, &c. Capital, £1000 in £1 shares.
Below – 1933 – Crown Fireclay Works.
Below – I believe the bricks below were manufactured at the Crown Fireclay Works. (The Patrick connection is still to be ascertained/clarified). This is the possible Patrick connection although it may be a little early with regards the dates – see first 3 entries below.
1840 – 1841 – Miller, Patrick & Alexander, manufacturing chemists and drysalters, 12 Croy Place. Chemical fire brick and grinding works, Port Dundas.
1843 – 1844 – Miller, Patrick & Alexander, manufacturing chemists and drysalters, 12 Croy Place. Chemical fire brick and grinding works, Port Dundas.
1838 – 1839 – Miller, Patrick and Alexander, manufacturing chemists and drysalters, 12 and 14 Croy place, chemical works Camlachie, fire-brick and grinding works Port-Dundas road.
Item MS 500/53/50
Collection Date 1900 – 1981
Caption Glasgow, East Nelson Street, 6.
1 sheet – map extract with a brief note. 1979.
2 sheets – notes (From the daughter of John Steele, founder of the works), and references. (1981).
1 sheet – extract from ‘Scottish Potteries’: The Potteries in Glasgow, by J.A. Fleming, c.1923.
1 sheet – copy of a page from ‘Industries of Glasgow’.
re. ‘P.S. Brownlie & Co’, East Nelson Street.
3 b/w photographs copied from older prints:
B 10069/10a: formal group portrait showing a group of workers & a collection of products at Crown works. n/d, probably late 19th Century, (copied 1981).
Photocopy showing original print.
B 10069/16a and 17a:
2 prints copied from an original photograph of n/d,
showing two men working in front of the down draught kiln (on right).
P. S. Brownlie & Co., Manufacturers of Fire Bricks, Enamelled Bricks, Blocks, Covers, ftc., and Sanitary Ware, Crown Eire Clay Works, East Nelson Street.Â—
It is difficult to find in the annals of commercial enterprise a parallel instance to the success which has attended the operations of the well-known firm of Messrs. P. S. Brownlie & Co., manufacturers of fire bricks, enamelled bricks, and sanitary ware. The Crown Fire Clay Works, situated in-East Nelson Street, cover an area of fully an acre of ground, and contain large and commodious buildings in which the various processes of the manufacture are conducted, with the machinery of the most improved construction.
This firm, in fact, were the first to introduce the manufacture of these goods by machinery into Scotland. By their process, a great saving of labour is effected and much more compact and durable articles produced. Of fire bricks the firm manufacture three classes, those for furnaces (steel, copper, gas, glass, chemical, pottery, &c.) are by their process of manufacture perfectly true in make, shape, and size ; they do not crack or break off but wear and melt slowly on the exposed surface, and being of most refractory character withstand intense heats or sudden changes in temperature. Shipping bricks, pressed or unpressed, weigh from 5 to 8 cwt. ; lighter, per 1,000 than the ordinary, to meet the demands of the export market. Building or facing bricks are made from selected clays and pressed by steam power, and are much superior in shape, size, and colour to the ordinary pressed fire-brick. They also manufacture white and coloured enamelled, bricks, sinks, wash-tubs, &c., &c., which for make and finish compare favourably with any in the market.
Attached to the works is a spacious suite of well-appointed offices and counting-house, together with all the accessories of a large and thoroughly organised establishment. In every department, the business is conducted with marked ability and enterprise. The firm sends out several energetic travellers, covering the whole of England, Scotland, and Ireland, and are well represented in the foreign and colonial markets. Mr Brownlie, who is the sole proprietor, is a gentleman occupying a high position in mercantile circles, and exercises in the management of his business that well-directed energy and sound judgment which have always been so eminently characteristic of his mercantile transactions.