Bowman & Co

0 92

Found in Fife by TS

Muiredge Colliery, Buckhaven, Fife c. 1860 to c. 1914

The first direct railway connection to serve a colliery was opened at the end of 1868 when the Muiredge branch opened by the Leven and East of Fife Railway; it left the main line at Cameron Bridge and ran south for a little over a mile. The Muiredge Colliery was immediately north of Buckhaven; it was revived by Bowman and Cairns, having earlier been worked by the Wemyss Estate, but the earlier activity had not been profitable and had lapsed. There was a public goods station at Muiredge in addition to the colliery connection. The branch opened shortly before 20 December 1868. Source

 

Tagged with:

Similar articles