Bonnyside Tileworks, Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire

Bonnyside TileWorks, Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire

28/03/1845 – Glasgow Herald – Clay to be let for such a number of years as may be agreed upon with immediate entry. A large field of fine clay on the property of Bonnyside, well adapted for making bricks and tyles. It lies nearly adjoining the great canal at Bonnybridge and also close to the line of the Central as well as the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. Besides the ordinary sale of the district, there will be an extensive sale for several years for bricking for the tunnels on the various new lines of the railway at present in progress.  The clay is of very considerable depth and proved at Mr Cairns’ Brickfield to be of very superior quality and particularly well adapted for manufacturing both bricks and tyles. The easy access to the canal and railways is also very advantageous. Further particulars on application to H. Salmon the proprietor, Falkirk. 24/03/1845.

09/08/1849 – Falkirk Herald – Extensive sale of growing oats at Bonnyside on Saturday the 11th August … Roup to begin at the Cowdenhill Park, opposite Mr Cairns’ Tileworks at 11 o’clock forenoon exactly …

Below – 1860 – Bonnyside Tileworks? (Note – SBH – This location seems to fit with regard to the site description in the 1849 article above but I have site recorded as the Bonnymuir Tileworks – Bonnyside and Bonnymuir Tileworks are either one of the same or operated side by side. They ‘both’ appear to have been owned or operated by Alexander Cairns) – for clarification).

12/01/1860 – Falkirk Herald – The farm of Bonnyside in the Parish of Falkirk to be let … there is a valuable tilework adjacent to the farm but most of the land has been deep tile-drained …

22/04/1863 – The Scotsman – For sale by private bargain, the Estate of Bonnyside in the Parish of Falkirk … There is also a field of clay on the Estate and a tilework … (The tileworks were still for sale on 01/08/1863 – The Scotsman).

Similar articles