Notes researched and compiled by George R Haggarty. A brickwork constructed by Joseph Sandes, merchant in Leith sometime prior to the 28th. Sept.1709 2. A brickwork constructed by Gilbert Mathieson Merchant in Edinburgh, and former Baillie of Leith c. 1727; later owned by John Kyle and subsequently by Trinity House. TRINITY HOUSE…
This appears to be relevant for all of the UK.
Below – 1703 – Book reference to making cement (Pages 186 and 187).
Below – 1723 – Book reference to bricks and cement.
Below – 1723 – Recipe for cement very similar to the 1703 recipe above.
Below – 1723 – ‘recipe’ for cement – it’s a cracker.
Cement in architecture is a strong binding mortar. ‘Tis used to cement bricks together. For some kinds of moulding. To make a block of bricks for the carving of scrolls, capitals etc.
‘Tis of two sorts: The hot cement, which is common, is made by putting to a pound of Rozin and a quarter of a pound of bees wax, half an ounce of fine brick-duft and as much powder of chalk; and boiling altogether in a pipkin etc for about ¼ of an hour, stirring it all the while; then let it stand 4 or 5 minutes and ‘tis fit for use.
The bricks to be cemented must be heated in or by the fire and rubb’d one upon another like boards in glewing.
The cold cement is less common and made thus.
Grate ½ a pound of old Cheshire cheese, well pared, very small and to it in a pot put ½ a pint of milk and so let it stand all night.; the next morning put it into a try etc. With the cheese and milk put ½ a pound of very fine powdered and sifted quick lime and stir all well together with a trowel breaking the knots of the cheese if any remain; and then all the whites of 12 – 14 eggs, which incorporate well with the mixture and then it will be fit for use. If you would have it reddish, colour it with a little very fine powder of bricks.