Background – Available evidence suggests that Merry & Cunninghame (Iron and coal masters with substantial mineral interests throughout the West of Scotland), established coal and ironstone workings at Clippens during the late 1850s. Worker’s housing was built by the company at Clippens Square, known locally as Balaclava following the victory in the Crimean war. The…
The entries may or may not be the same company or different companies based on the same site over the years. They could also very well be connected with brickworks associated with the Straiton Oil Works or the Clippen Oil Company or the Midlothian Oil Company.
1878 – Straiton Estate Co Limited, manufacturers of bricks, fire-clay goods and mineral oils, lime-burners and freestone quarry owners, Straiton — Robert Young, manager; Office, 13 Castle St, Edinburgh.
1885 – Reference to the Straiton Brickworks near Loanhead, West Calder.
1938 – 1939 – Straiton Brick Company Limited. 28 Queens Street, Loanhead, Edinburgh.