Millstone Grit and Fireclay Ltd, Wester Jawcraig, Falkirk: (c. 1937 to 1970s, 1987 to 1993, closed 1998) Millstone Grit & Fireclay Co Ltd – Millstone Grit & Fireclay Co was incorporated in 1966 and took over the common brickworks at Herbertshire, Denny. Worked open cast fireclay pits at Threaprigg and Slamannan Plateau. It was merged…
Jawcraig Brick Works in Falkirk date from the inter-war years and were closed in the 1970s. During World War II the works were owned by Stirlingshire Brickworks Ltd but were under care and maintenance and out of production. At the time of their closure in the 1970s, the works were operated by Craigend Refractories Ltd. The works were rebuilt and re-opened in 1987 but mothballed in 1993.
Stirlingshire Brick Company made common bricks and it is thought their brand was the ‘STERLING’ brick. A reference in the Bradley & Craven Machine Order Book suggests that Jawcraig Works were owned and/or operated by Robert Thomson in 1937.
22/02/1947 – Falkirk Herald – The Stirlingshire Brickworks Ltd, Glasshouse Loan, Alloa craved sanction to erect a bungalow on a piece of ground adjoining a road leading from Slamannan Road, Falkirk at an estimated cost of £1,200. It was stated the bungalow was for occupation by one of the company’s managers who was regarded as a ‘key man’ at the Jawcraig Brick Works. A warrant was granted.
19/07/1989 – Agnes Robertson Russell – Company director of Stirlingshire Brick Company Limited, Date of appointment 19/07/1989. Service address – Home Farm, Drove Loan, Denny. Registered office – Drumbowie, Denny.