Many thanks to Colin Rogers for the following information and photographs. This white enamelled sink stamped J & R H Ltd, was found in Montevideo, Uruguay by Colin’s wife, Sonsoles Baison. Colin states – Part of the stamp says “Made in Britain” and in Spanish “aprobado por A.N.D.A.” which means approved by Anda. There is…
‘Gartcraig’ and ‘Heatheryknowe, Patent, Glasgow’ bricks found by Romney Brain Port at Blakely on Bainbridge Island, Washington, USA.
Romney states ” In the late 1800s and early 1900s, the Port Blakely Mill operated as one of the largest lumber mills in the world (for many of those years, it was). (https://portblakely.com/port-
Heatheryknowe Fire Clay Works, Glasgow
Gartcraig Fire Clay Works, By Millerston, Glasgow.
Below – This is a list of the bricks found at the above location by Romney.
1. SNOWBALL (Snowball Fire Brick Works, Swalwell, County Durham, England) – (1854-1935).
2. WILSON – BROUGHTON MOOR (Broughton Moor Colliery and Brickworks, Broughton Moor, Allerdale in Cumbria, England) – (1880s).
3. HEATHERYKNOWE PATENT GLASGOW (Heathery Knowe Colliery & Fire Clay Works, Baillieston and Glasgow, Scotland) – (1867-1889).
4. GARTCRAIG (Gartcraig Fire Clay Mine, Scotland) – (1876-1920).
5. T. CARR (Thomas Carr & Son, Newcastle-on-Tyne, England) – (1827-1918).
6. M.T & Co. (M. Thompson & Company, Quesburn and later Scotswood, near Newcastle, England – (1860s – ?).
7. ATLAS (Atlas Fire Brick Company, Los Angeles, CA) – (1918-1928).
8. LIVERMORE (Livermore Fire Brick Company, Livermore, CA) – (1910- 1917).
9. CLAYBURN (Charles Maclure & Son, Clayburn Brick Plant, Clayburn, British Columbia, Canada) – (1905-1931).
10. W.W. Co. (? – no clear information).
11. COWEN (Joseph Cowen & Co., Blaydon-on-Tyne, England) – (1823- 1904).